Possible start of hith?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
My poor boy Oliver has what looks like a fluid bubble that has formed on a sensory pit in the middle of his forehead.
He is still eating and acting normally. I’ll get water readings in a bit. Last w/c was Monday 80%.
Aggression in the tank was really high. I removed one females free swimmers and the other females eggs are gone now too. The females killed a tetra and two giant danios. Not something they regularly do. I fear I’ve reached the point of needing to make a tough call on how bad I want to hold onto my females. They have become so overly aggressive and I think Oliver’s health is suffering because of it.

What should I do?

His is how he looks right now.
C7665655-D401-4E1C-AB46-1AAF0C479D6B.png9CB49F30-D98F-4F97-B806-FAB45E7A0F24.png
I wanted to get a side shot, but he isn’t working with me this morning.

Should I treat him with hex shield?
I’ll up my water changes for sure. He is still eating well so if I’m going to go the medicated food route I think I should start sooner rather then later. I just need to know what meds would be best. I hate using medication on fish, but I’ve suffered too much loss his year. I can’t watch my boy fall apart on me:(

• Sad
Reactions: Jexnell

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
My take is that it can be a start of HITH. Dont know the meds over in the states. But im using something called sera flagellol or esha hexamita. I usually salt the water quite hard. 3dl per 100L of water.

RD. RD.
kno4te kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Does look like hith. Stress by itself can do it. Gotta treat the underlying condition. If you can separate the fish it might recover with some clean water and food. When the water is tested then also check ur gh and kh if able. Wouldn’t treat with abx just yet.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yes, looks like HITH, most likely triggered from what you suspect, female hyper aggression. I would definitely begin feeding NLS Hex-Shield, feed twice a day for 3-5 days, no other food. Keep the water uber clean to assist in the healing, and resolve the stress issue asap. Good luck!

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Does look like hith. Stress by itself can do it. Gotta treat the underlying condition. If you can separate the fish it might recover with some clean water and food. When the water is tested then also check ur gh and kh if able. Wouldn’t treat with abx just yet.
I do have gh and kh kits, I’ll be sure to get those too.

Yes, looks like HITH, most likely triggered from what you suspect, female hyper aggression. I would definitely begin feeding NLS Hex-Shield, feed twice a day for 3-5 days, no other food. Keep the water uber clean to assist in the healing, and resolve the stress issue asap. Good luck!
I’ll get some ordered.
I’m so upset. I don’t have any good places to set up more tanks for the girls so this will mean getting rid of them. Short term I can remove them, but if I put them back when he recovers I’m sure I’ll just be right back here again:( *sigh*

Thank you guys for confirming my suspicion and the suggestions.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Ok, got the water tests done.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Ph 8.4
Gh 28 drops
Kh 23 drops

I’m surprised the nitrates are already 20. Maybe the sump needs some cleaning. That can’t be helping any.

My gh is always off the charts. Very hard water.

As you wait for the hexshield, you can soak floating pellets or freeze dried food to saturation with an 3% epsom salt solution (3/4 teaspoon of epsom salt 1/2 cup of distilled water). Feed one at a time so it is consumed right away.
I’ll do that, thank you.
The hexshield should be here by the weekend.

Nice GT. Wishing him a speedy recovery.
Thanks. I hope he recovers fast too!

Reactions: Tobiassorensen

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree, it looks like HLLE, and about upping water changes, I consider prevention is much better, and that med reaction is last resort. If nitrate reaches 10 ppm I'd change enough to keep it under 10.
Also these fish come from rivers west of the Andes where water temps average in the mid 70s, and seasonal melts from those nearby mountains keeps them from rising to what many aquarists think is normal, so just on case your temps are higher, this may also cause stress (and maybe bring out aggression long term)

Reactions: LBDave and MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I agree, it looks like HLLE, and about upping water changes, I consider prevention is much better, and that med reaction is last resort. If nitrate reaches 10 ppm I'd change enough to keep it under 10.
Also these fish come from rivers west of the Andes where water temps average in the mid 70s, and seasonal melts from those nearby mountains keeps them from rising to what many aquarists think is normal, so just on case your temps are higher, this may also cause stress (and maybe bring out aggression long term)
Thank you, I’ll keep a close eye on the nitrates and keep them down.
I unplugged my heaters a couple months ago, but the house temp has been 80-85F a few days this week. I have kept all shades closed to try and keep temps down as much as I can.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store