Possible Stocking

MonsterMicah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2022
I've began the process of getting materials for a tank that'll be roughly 540 gallons plus a sump (likely going to be my old 40 breeder). The tank is going to be a plywood tank thats 72"x72"x24" (made from 2 125 gallon front glass panes). I'm looking to have an ancient tank set up with primitive fish. The three main fish I was looking for were bichirs, gars, and lungfish. I'd like to try and get an arowana, datnoid, or knife fish in there as well, but I know having a gar and arowana in a small tank like that probably won't work. Considering the only arowana I can keep with other fish gets to be 3+ feet long.

My question comes down to, is it realistic to have a south American lung fish in this tank considering they reach upwards of 4 feet in length? If I can keep a south American lung fish, then how many bichirs (likely delhezi and/or ornate) can go with it. I'm undecided on which gar to get, but I think a spotted could be a good fit. I'm trying to get my stocking sorted out before I begin getting fish.

Last edited:

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
you might want to go with something bigger then a 40 breeder for a sump on a tank that large. its a huge footprint. 1inch of water is like 23 gallons. assuming your sump is half full when running you wont even have room for an inch of water drop if the power goes out. i would be going with a 75 gallon min on a tank that large.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Agreed. You could make a small overhead sump out of that 40 maybe but youll want more volume for a traditional sump thats under the tank. Look into stock tanks or other sturdy plastic containers, doesnt necessarily have to be an aquarium.

MonsterMicah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2022
Agreed. You could make a small overhead sump out of that 40 maybe but youll want more volume for a traditional sump thats under the tank. Look into stock tanks or other sturdy plastic containers, doesnt necessarily have to be an aquarium.
Tractor supply has black ponds I think they're 130 gallons? Something like that, I'll look on my way back home from work.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Tractor supply has black ponds I think they're 130 gallons? Something like that, I'll look on my way back home from work.
Yeah i know the rubbermaid stock tanks and troughs are there sometimes their not terribly priced either.

Sorry i cant definitively answer your other question, never kept SAL. I know that tank is on par with or bigger than most SAL setups i see though.

MonsterMicah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2022
Yeah i know the rubbermaid stock tanks and troughs are there sometimes their not terribly priced either.

Sorry i cant definitively answer your other question, never kept SAL. I know that tank is on par with or bigger than most SAL setups i see though.
I just checked and they're 150 gallons. I wasn't sure about SAL because a 4 foot long fish in a tank thats 6'x6' doesn't sound like it's exactly a good fit. I could be wrong since they might be flexible or sedentary or rarely reach 4 feet long.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I just checked and they're 150 gallons. I wasn't sure about SAL because a 4 foot long fish in a tank thats 6'x6' doesn't sound like it's exactly a good fit. I could be wrong since they might be flexible or sedentary or rarely reach 4 feet long.
I can say no more other than its a helluva growout tank at the least. Dont these things live decades? lol

Reactions: MonsterMicah
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store