Possible tank mates for clown loaches

Jsplei

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2019
I have a new tank (75 gallon) that I stupidly didn't rinse the new plants in before I put them in and now I have an infestation of snails. The tank is just a catfish tank, a couple of pictis, an x ray, Rafael and corgi. I was thinking about getting a school of clown loaches to fix the infestation because everything I have read seems to think that is the best solution, but I am unsure if I can mix the two groups...

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
What’s an “x ray” and “corgi”?
Anyway if I you want to get rid of the snails then an easy way is to put a cabbage leaf in the tank when you go to bed then get it out in the morning. When you get it out it should be covered in snails. Also instead of buying a group why not just tell your lfs what you're planning and get them to agree to loan (or buy it then return it) you a single clown loach to eat the snails. Or better yet you could go with a different loach. A rainbow loach gets smaller and would eat the snails.
Just incase you didn't know, in a decade or so those clown loaches could be pushing around a foot. They are a slow growing fish that get large in time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Jsplei

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2019
X-Ray is a glass catfish, they are see through and very cool, but very sensitive, Corgi should have been Cory (Corydoras) catfish, he basically looks like a pug in fish form.

A rainbow loach is a good idea. I was just wondering if all those bottom feeders would be a problem. The school was just because I know they are happier in schools and I will keep them, as long as they don't eat my catfish!

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
My 75 gallon has about 3 times the number of bottom dwellers you have and they all got along except for 3 plain aggressive ones that got moved out. Not saying it's good (it isn't) or smart but they got along so if you add a rainbow loach they should get along.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I would like to add quarantine the Clown Loaches first also most are wild caught so may carry parasites. They will be ok in the 75 gallon for awhile but they get large.
They grow very slow. Welcome aboard

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store