Potential Tankmates

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore
As a follow-up to my previous post, I'm creating a list of tankmates that I might want to keep with a CB Senegal. Opinions are appreciated!

Polypterids:
Ropefish

Characins:
Longfin tetras (Brycinus longipinnis)
Congo tetras
Silver dollars
Diamond tetras?
Hujeta pike
Distichodus affinis

Cyprinids:
Clown barbs
Rosy barbs
Desmopuntius johorensis
Roseline sharks
Rasbora aurotaenia
Barilius sp.
Giant danio sp.
Hampala ampalong (I miss mine :( )

Perciformes:
Climbing perch
Ctenpoma acutirostre
Snakeskin Gourami
Moonlight gourami
Pearl Gourami
Noble Gourami, Ctenops nobilis
Dwarf snakeheads (Rainbow, channa sp. assam etc)
Dwarf pike cichlids
Clouded Archers

Cichlids: (not a big cichlid guy though)
Bolivian ram
Firemouth
Smaller geophagus

Catfish:
Pictus catfish
Emerald corydoras (Brochis splendens)

Others:
Humphead Glassfish
Monodactylus sebae
Elephantnose fish?
BGK?
Water cow goby
Rainbowfish (especially Madagascar rainbows)

Last edited:
Reactions: clm08k and tlindsey

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thats a long list for sure lol.

I think allot will depend on the genetics of your sen. Some stay real small around 6 inches while others can grow a bit larger.

The one that stands out as something i would avoid are the silver dollars. They have huge appetites and might make it difficult to properly feed the sen.

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore

I think allot will depend on the genetics of your sen. Some stay real small around 6 inches while others can grow a bit larger.

The one that stands out as something i would avoid are the silver dollars. They have huge appetites and might make it difficult to properly feed the sen.
Oh yeah, forgot about how I had to overfeed my tank when I kept them with my old bichir. Most of these are things that I see in my LFS or fish farms that I visit. Any other suggestions are welcome!

Reactions: jaws7777

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
Id pull the firemouth off the list. Had one with my senegals. He was a jerk. They ate and grew just fine but were hesitant to rest on the bottom of the tank.

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore
Id pull the firemouth off the list. Had one with my senegals. He was a jerk. They ate and grew just fine but were hesitant to rest on the bottom of the tank.
Alright thanks! Have one right now, I suspect he was the one who ripped the eye out of my hujeta. Would peacock eels be good tankmates?

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
Honestly ive never kept eels. Ill +1 to all the gourami listed for sure though. Put an opaline in instead of the FM and the senegals are happier
Dont mind the glass. Tanks in a childs room.20190714_113451.jpg

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
how big is the sen?

if you haven't already check out the legendary beblondie Polypterus primer and intro sticky at the polypterus forum front page. Lot's of good info. I'm going to re-read it today. I've also been wondering about tank-mates and she has a list in there if you haven't checked it out yet.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be

I'm gonna have to disagree with ya mate, I have a large group of silver dollars with my bichirs and they give the bichirs absolutely no problem whatsoever. Even if they are aggressive then it isn't hard to feed the bichirs separately as all you have to do is get a piece of acrylic tubing and put it down in the water near the bichir(s) and put the food down into it.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I'm gonna have to disagree with ya mate, I have a large group of silver dollars with my bichirs and they give the bichirs absolutely no problem whatsoever. Even if they are aggressive then it isn't hard to feed the bichirs separately as all you have to do is get a piece of acrylic tubing and put it down in the water near the bichir(s) and put the food down into it.
It is possible to target feed. Not sure if op is willing to do this. If so a length of pvc pipe would do the trick. For me feeding like this just becomes a chore. Sd's are some of the most aggressive feeders ive ever kept and for the most part they need larger aquariums. Nothing wrong with mixing the two species but for my tastes not worth the hassle

Reactions: Rocksor and L3CTR0N
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store