Power out 44hrs and counting

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I am in the Pacific Northwest and we got 10in of snow. Melting off now, no loss of power for me but we still have 160k without power here due to down lines.

My heart reaches out to all stuck in the cold with no power.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Like the title says and I'm sure some other members are experiencing it as well fortunately we have a wood stove on full blast heating water up around the clock trying to keep my babies alive. How is everybody doing out there?View attachment 1451716
We were hit by a snow storm a couple of days ago and fortunate no power outage. Great that you have a wood burning stove and you know what to do to keep your fish alive. Hopefully power will be restored soon.

Reactions: Jexnell

beau1990

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2018
Stanford Kentucky
The word of the day is generator.
Next time I will be prepared
I'm not a fan of this at all.
Me and my wife and child used to live in town so if power was ever out it was only for a few hours, and we moved out here to the country because her parents gave us 5 acres to build on.

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
Me and my wife and child used to live in town so if power was ever out it was only for a few hours, and we moved out here to the country because her parents gave us 5 acres to build on.
Are you thinking about a standby unit or portable? They're a pain because of fueling needs, but I'm surprised you didn't mention having a portable generator or two.

We had a bad ice storm in my area like 14yrs ago where people were many people were w/out power for 10-14 days. Natural gas powered standby generator sales went through the roof afterwards. For the most part we haven't had a major power outage outage since.

I try to keep two smaller portable units and keep a few 5gal gas cans full of fresh fuel when the weather is going to be bad, but I'm pretty bad at managing that and I'm down to one small ~1400 watt portable having given the other one to a family member.

Reactions: deeda

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Generators are really great. We have frequent power outages from giant trees coming down on power lines and substations in our area. With the substantial investment we put into our fish room, we got the generator for the fish. So nice that it is business as usual for the fish...no more submerging bio balls and getting out the battery powered air pumps. Got enough of the old part of the house on the generator, so we are comfortable too.

Wood stoves are great....don't have to worry about humidity issues. We actually have a big pot on the stove and a humidifier or two going to keep the humidity up when the wood stoves are fired up. Low humidity is bad for fine wood (musical instruments).

Hope your power comes on soon and am glad you will be taking measures to make life easier for you during power outages.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
just got one of these at costco today

can be kept inside or in apts

image.jpg

Reactions: FreshyFresh

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Crazy.

I will be facing the same battle for a day next Tuesday . We got an electricity outage warning , and no heating in the fish room at present apart from the actual tank heaters. There is only one tropical tank and it's a pond. I will have to think how to keep the heat up high enough at least. I am not actually that worried about the filters as all the tanks are well planted. The same has happened before but in warmer weather.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store