Powerhead advice needed.

ctateo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2006
Flushing, NY
Rethinking my filtration, and hoping to reduce vacuuming a little.
I run 2x emperor 400s on a 150 gallon tank. I've already switched to using my own sponges vs using official ritesize E in order to increase both mechanical an biological. I've also made a water bottle/floss/pump polisher I'll use whenever needed.

I added stock to this long established but previously neglected tank, and saw the benefits of using power heads to keep the substrate cleaner.

What flow should I be using if I have big new world cichlids? Is 1 enough or are 2 heads set up on opposite side(high and low) a better idea?

Lastly. Better value to go with cheaper ones and replace more often? Or is this something where it's worth it to spend on quality.... Im no reef guy, so I can't see buying one of the more advanced ones with controllers.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are rheophyillic new world cichlids that appreciate a very high flow, there are NW cichlids that come from lakes, oxbows, and lazy rivers that do best in moderate or low flow.
One size does not fit all.
I keep mostly rheophillic type, and use heavy enough flow to keep plants constantly bending with the current, and the cichlids I keep seem to barely notice..

This of course, would not be proper for angels or discus, or swamp fish, but works for many riverine species, and I find higher flow seems to help control aggression in some species such as Maskaheros, Chuco, and Tomocichla.

Last edited:

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I use one of the propeller type power heads.
They produce a wider ,gentler type flow pattern.
Tons to choose from cheap to expensive.

Aquaneat, sun sun are typically very cheap. Hydor, or Current I would say is a mid priced brand, all the way up to the Vortech.
I’m sure there are lots more.

Just depends on the look and flow you’re trying to accomplish.

ctateo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2006
Flushing, NY
I'm not sure what level of flow I need. I'm mainly looking to keep detritus from settling into the substrate. I've got a 10 8 inch managuense, a leporinus and a green terror, plus 2 plecos, and silver dollars. 2 Oscar's will be introduced once they grow out.

Was going to start with 2 smaller cheap ones to see if it is enough. If I need more horsepower I'd then go bigger. Seeing some folks running 1500 gph units in a tank like mine seems really high.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I'm not sure what level of flow I need. I'm mainly looking to keep detritus from settling into the substrate. I've got a 10 8 inch managuense, a leporinus and a green terror, plus 2 plecos, and silver dollars. 2 Oscar's will be introduced once they grow out.

Was going to start with 2 smaller cheap ones to see if it is enough. If I need more horsepower I'd then go bigger. Seeing some folks running 1500 gph units in a tank like mine seems really high.
The two Oscars are going to push your bioload too high for your filtration. Not to mention the jag which can hit 16+inches.

I know 1500 seems like a lot but when you break it down it’s roughly 10x the volume.
Also it’s easy to get that kind of flow out of the propeller type powerheads because it’s a wider more linear type flow pattern versus a jet type that focuses the water into a point.

ctateo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2006
Flushing, NY
I wish my jag would ever get that big. After 6 years, I'm not sure how much more growing to expect..

I am upping the efficiency of my setup, and will likely add a canister if its not enough. the tank had almost been stocked this high years ago, and the emperors did the job. if I need the canister, it'll be worth the expense.

all that said, I'm likely to have to re-home 1 or more fish at some point. it all depends on how the managuense likes his new tank mates when they are added. he's been pounding on the green terror and leporinus lately, so I am overstocking in the hopes of lowering overall aggression(its worked before). in the meantime I've been keeping him well fed, ,moving decorations around almost daily, and putting gravel back into the areas where he cleared the bottom(spends hours moving the gravel back out)

ctateo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2006
Flushing, NY
Here is the first video I've ever done. This is right after a cleaning, 25% wc and turning on the powerhead for the first time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store