Sep 4, 2018
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
5-10
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
41-50%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hello, I have 4 Texas cichlid growing out in a 125g tank. I've had them for a little over 4months. I have 3 seachem 110, 3 hikari 75g sponge filters, internal fluval filter running. Tank is cycled. 1/2 inch sand substrate. Temp is at 78. The fish have been eating and seem to be growing well. About the second week in the symptoms started

Yawning
Twitching
Flashing
Scratching at gills
Clamped fins

First treatment was seachem paraguard. Treated for 30days. Fish showed some improvement, few days later the symptoms came back.

I gave them a few days break from meds then treated with prazipro. I followed the directions someone posted on an earlier thread here. Followed it for 35days. Ended the treatment a 3 weeks ago and now the symptoms are back. Like the paraguard treatment...they showed improvement but it's back again.

I am assuming it's flukes because there are no other visible signs. At times it seems as if they are struggling to breathe.

I read to try flubendazole. So I ordered kusuri Wormer plus. I started that treatment 5 days ago and they are still symptomatic. Two of them are showing improvement but the other two are back to scratching.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to keep letting them suffer but I've spent a ton of money on meds. Any recommendations? I am at a point of euthanizing them and just letting the tank sit empty for a couple of months and trying again..

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Hello, I have 4 Texas cichlid growing out in a 125g tank. I've had them for a little over 4months. I have 3 seachem 110, 3 hikari 75g sponge filters, internal fluval filter running. Tank is cycled. 1/2 inch sand substrate. Temp is at 78. The fish have been eating and seem to be growing well. About the second week in the symptoms started

Yawning
Twitching
Flashing
Scratching at gills
Clamped fins

First treatment was seachem paraguard. Treated for 30days. Fish showed some improvement, few days later the symptoms came back.

I gave them a few days break from meds then treated with prazipro. I followed the directions someone posted on an earlier thread here. Followed it for 35days. Ended the treatment a 3 weeks ago and now the symptoms are back. Like the paraguard treatment...they showed improvement but it's back again.

I am assuming it's flukes because there are no other visible signs. At times it seems as if they are struggling to breathe.

I read to try flubendazole. So I ordered kusuri Wormer plus. I started that treatment 5 days ago and they are still symptomatic. Two of them are showing improvement but the other two are back to scratching.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to keep letting them suffer but I've spent a ton of money on meds. Any recommendations? I am at a point of euthanizing them and just letting the tank sit empty for a couple of months and trying again..
From the sounds of it it's sounds like ya need to scrub that tank clean with bleach. If the problem keep resurfacing I'd imagine that it's still living in the tank even after treatment so the only way I can think of getting rid of it for good would be getting the fish into a quarentine tank while treating them and drain their main tank, scrub it down with bleach to disinfect the whole thing before rinsing it and refilling the tank before adding the fish back in after treatment.

Hopefully someone else that has more experience with this specific problem, knows of a better solution then mine, chimes in and helps out. As far as I know the only way to get rid of a problem that continuously keeps resurfacing is to just strip the tank down and disinfect the whole thing while treating the fish in a seperate bare tank.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Could be from stress from each other vs gh/bad water. I forget if these are hard or soft watered cichlids. If you’ve treated then I’d wait it out and see. The meds should do what they do if the symptoms are right. Also consider separating the fish with dividers temporarily. Wouldn’t consider euthanizing just yet.

Chelu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2018
Thanks. I will ride out this last treatment and see how they respond. They have no aggression to each other because of their size as of yet. If the symptoms comeback I'll just scrub it down.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store