Predator fish for 40 gallon

The guy of fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2020
Hi all, I have a 40 gallon and was wondering what kind of predator fish or cichlids I could have in there

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
What do you define as a "predator"?

The guy of fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2020
can and will eat live fish and or pellets. Want something that can eat all the guppies I can’t find homes for.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Depending on the efficiency of filtration, and how many and the volume of water changes you do per week.
Maybe 4 fish, not to exceed 4" as adults.
If you chose smaller species, maybe a couple more.
The word predator is a bit vague.
Most Tetras are predators, most (not all) appropriately sized cichlids would not be considered predators.
There are a number of predatory gobies that might work.

The guy of fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2020
The tank has a filter for 75 gallons of water and another filter meant for 45 gallons. I do 30% water changes every other week I’m looking mainly for a singular big fish (not really that big) or maybe 2 moderately sized fish.

The guy of fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2020
I have a Senegal already in a different tank. Are there other types of bichirs for 40 gallons? Are the other types a little more aggressive? My Senegal likes to sit at the bottom and destroy small fish if they come close but other than that he stays still. American native fish also good besides blue gill sunfish pumpkin seeds or similar fish

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
South American leaf fish, Senegal polys, larger killi fish if not in America then the rainbow wolf fish wouldn't be bad. Exodons, hairy puffer or pao or suvatti.

Reactions: dr exum

The guy of fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2020
how many exodons would fit in the tank? Which species of killlis cause I have no idea which ones get big or not

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store