Preferred Non-Live Foods?

aquaticeye

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 16, 2016
I am thankful that I have all of my bass (all 18 of them) on pellets.

They currently all happily take either Hikari Massivore or Floating Sticks

However, these foods are NOT cheap... I'm getting the $50-60 dollar 2 pounder bags right now on Amazon

Just curious what everyone feeds in cichla land. Are there cheaper alternatives that work just as well?

This hobby, and these fish in particular, require deep pockets

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

However, these foods are NOT cheap... I'm getting the $50-60 dollar 2 pounder bags right now on Amazon

Just curious what everyone feeds in cichla land. Are there cheaper alternatives that work just as well?

I personally don't keep PBass but definitely would add Tilapia into the feeding rotation.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Indon

I don’t have P bass but always wanted one but I have cichlids and catfish and an arowana and I used to feed them frozen blood worms but then it started costing like 20$ a month which don’t sound like a lot but it adds up so I started buying frozen shrimp human grade and fed them that for a while then that added up a bit so I started crappie fishing and feeding them crappie fillets and they all love them I like it too cause this way I know where the food came from and I know the health of the fish and quality of the water it was in I highly suggest fishing for your own fish food I think it’s a lot better for the fish and for you since it’s basically free as long as you have a fishing license and fishing gear

Reactions: Cich Mind

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I personally don't keep PBass but definitely would add Tilapia into the feeding rotation.
Could always add some shrimp, scallops, squid and smelt to that list. I used to grind all that up in a blender and refreeze it into daily feeding portions back when I had my Giant Gourami. Didn't look the most appealing but it did the trick and was pretty cheap to do. Definitely recommend getting a second blender tho. Atleast then you'll have one for the fish food and one for personal use. Only thing ya need to do extra is just thaw out your daily portions in some water before feeding.

aquaticeye

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 16, 2016
Appreciate all of the responses!

I do market shrimp sometimes but I'm lazier in terms of food prep than the average fish keeper :) much lazier.

I don't know how you all take the effort to cut up foods and blend. Haha. Kudos truly. I can spend hours perfecting a filtration setup but have little to no patience even defrosting frozen filets.

Curious if anyone uses cheaper pellets than massivore with good success in terms of growth and coloration?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Appreciate all of the responses!

I do market shrimp sometimes but I'm lazier in terms of food prep than the average fish keeper :) much lazier.

I don't know how you all take the effort to cut up foods and blend. Haha. Kudos truly. I can spend hours perfecting a filtration setup but have little to no patience even defrosting frozen filets.

Curious if anyone uses cheaper pellets than massivore with good success in terms of growth and coloration?
NLS Jumbo Carnivore Pellets for growth my larger fish are drab in color except for my Datnoid so color is enhanced by the krill it eats.1619639550331228191253.jpg

This is actually cheaper than a large bag of Hikari Carnivore Pellets and don't smell bad lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store