Prepared food options

jakessvx1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Midlothian VA
Hello
I have a few catfish that are getting rather large I only feed them prepared foods (krill, massivore, and sturgeon pellets), but they are going through the stuff so fast now that it is getting pretty expensive. I am wondering if there are any other prepared food options that are good quality, but perhaps cheaper? Thanks

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Hello
I have a few catfish that are getting rather large I only feed them prepared foods (krill, massivore, and sturgeon pellets), but they are going through the stuff so fast now that it is getting pretty expensive. I am wondering if there are any other prepared food options that are good quality, but perhaps cheaper? Thanks
What catfish species do you have? How big are they?

jakessvx1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Midlothian VA
Channels, bullheads, and a flathead. The flathead won’t eat typical “catfish” food that you can buy in bulk from southern states. It has to be more meat based. I think that stuff at southern states has wheat as the primary ingredient. Also I noticed a lot more junk in the filters when I fed the channel cats the stuff from southern states.

Reactions: tlindsey

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Channels, bullheads, and a flathead. The flathead won’t eat typical “catfish” food that you can buy in bulk from southern states. It has to be more meat based. I think that stuff at southern states has wheat as the primary ingredient. Also I noticed a lot more junk in the filters when I fed the channel cats the stuff from southern states.
Do you have them in a pond. They all get pretty big. Have you tried feeding tilapia to them.

jakessvx1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Midlothian VA
Oh yeah and Althea sizes. The flat head is probably 20”, I have 4 channels from 20” to probably 28”, and then 2 brown bullheads about 14-16”. I’m mainly looking for a sinking food.

Reactions: tlindsey

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Oh yeah and Althea sizes. The flat head is probably 20”, I have 4 channels from 20” to probably 28”, and then 2 brown bullheads about 14-16”. I’m mainly looking for a sinking food.
Not sure if you can get such big fish to stick to pellets

jakessvx1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Midlothian VA
They’re all in a 10,000 gallon koi pond.
No, I don’t feed them live food at all. I’m scared of introducing disease and having to treat a large body of water. Maybe feeding tilapia from the grocery store is a possibility, but how concerned should I be about them having pathogens?

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
They’re all in a 10,000 gallon koi pond.
No, I don’t feed them live food at all. I’m scared of introducing disease and having to treat a large body of water. Maybe feeding tilapia from the grocery store is a possibility, but how concerned should I be about them having pathogens?
That’s what I meant. I buy tilapia store bought and filleted and have never had any problems. It’s a pretty cheap effective solution IMO

jakessvx1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Midlothian VA
Hmm.... do they sell large bags of frozen tilapia fillets? Maybe I can add that to the diet to offset the expensive stuff some. Thanks for the help. I’ll consider it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store