Preparing to Buy a Stingray

Nathaniel G. Schneider

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hi there! I’m preparing to buy a Stingray but need some help. I was hoping someone could point me to the best online store? Also, what questions should I ask before buying?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thank you. I’m new to this. What freshwater Stingray would you recommend? Also, best place to buy? Questions to ask?

Welcome aboard

I suggest you do more research on Freshwater Rays before deciding if you really want to maintain one. This is one of the species you do not want to make an impulsive purchase on. I'm only trying to help btw.

Nathaniel G. Schneider

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
I am currently setting up. I am purchasing a large aquarium this weekend, and plan on preparing the tank in the coming weeks, before I actually make a purchase. I’m taking my time to get more educated before making the decision.

Reactions: tlindsey

Ray-z

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2017
How large is the tank? And, what type of filtration are you planning on getting?
Great questions. Great to hear your getting into rays. I should add though it’s not a good idea to put any ray in a tank that’s only been set up for a few weeks. They need mature tanks. They are very sensitive to ammonia and in a new set up you will definitely get ammonia spikes. Which will kill them.
Get the tank and filteration up and running, buy some other ray friendly fish first and let the tank fully mature for a minimum of a few months before you add a ray.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Not sure where in the world you are but I would go and buy the fish, face to face. You say big tank, are we talking 300 gallons plus? (1000 litres)

Nathaniel G. Schneider

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hey! Thanks for input guys! I am purchasing a 200 gallon tank on Sunday. I haven’t started researching filtration so if you have some recommendations that would help. I’m thinking about what’s labeled as a Colombian Hysterix, but as I’ve read it seems as though there’s no such thing and that is often a name mistakenly given to a Brazilian Ray or something in the Humerosa family. I live in upstate NY so I don’t really have too many options for purchasing in person. I was looking at Your Fish Store online but if you know of more reputable store, I would appreciate that as well.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Hey! Thanks for input guys! I am purchasing a 200 gallon tank on Sunday. I haven’t started researching filtration so if you have some recommendations that would help. I’m thinking about what’s labeled as a Colombian Hysterix, but as I’ve read it seems as though there’s no such thing and that is often a name mistakenly given to a Brazilian Ray or something in the Humerosa family. I live in upstate NY so I don’t really have too many options for purchasing in person. I was looking at Your Fish Store online but if you know of more reputable store, I would appreciate that as well.
Do some research on a sump type of filtration will the tank be drilled? If so you can do hard plumbing and since your getting a ray consider tacking on a canister as well for polishing that water a good reliable one is the Fluval FX5/6 you can probably find one in our market place for 150-200. Sumps cheap you just need media and a pump

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
RedDevilRyan RedDevilRyan

Usastingrays.com is who you want to deal with.

Great guys.

Awesome fish

AND they are a MFK vendor. Help keep it in the family.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store