Sep 30, 2016
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
20ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
41-50%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate the holiday. I posted this earlier in the wrong section. Mods, feel free to delete it if need be.

I've had an account here for awhile but only really lurked. I've enjoyed the threads, pictures and discussions from the active members.

I have a juvenile Oscar that I am growing out in a 60 gallon aquarium that's located in my office. I acquired the fish about a month ago and it has been doing great. The fish has easily doubled in size (length and girth) is extremely active and outgoing with a gigantic appetite. The fish is housed with three other Columbia Tetras (to large to be eaten) and a Bushy Nose Pleco. The Oscar has bright and attentive eyes, clean fins with no damage, normal gill coloration, and normal feces. The other fish have been in this aquarium for several years and are also healthy.

I feed the Oscar a variety of Hikari pellets and Omega Shrimp Sticks. I feed the fish 3X daily. I feed just what the fish can finish in a minute or so time frame. I try to remove uneaten food as quickly as possible.
I perform 2 weekly water changes of approximately 50%.

The Water Parameters are as follows:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10-20ppm
PH: 7.2 - 7.6
Temp: 76F

I'm using the API freshwater master testing kit. The PH may be closer to 7.6 and Nitrates may be closer to 20ppm as the color of the test results more closely resembles that range on the testing color card provided with the kit.

Tonight, I noticed what looks to be the beginning of HITH Disease on my Oscar. I've been keeping Cichlids on and off for years but this is the first time I am encountering this problem even though it seems to be quite common.

I'm looking for advice on the best course of treatment for my fish. I have Maracyn and Maracyn 2 on hand.

Anyone with direct experience treating this disease that could provide some guidance to me, would be extremely helpful as I have found conflicting information regarding treatment.

Thank you.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It could be from numerous different causes. Is suggest feeding some metronidazole for now. Can use hex shield. I’d try getting ur ph down. Can be done by mixing tap with RO water. Need to check ur water hardness. Make sure ur not using any carbon. Keep nitrates below 20ppm.

Reactions: tlindsey

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
can only advice based on own experience... the last 2 times my flowerhorn has HITH, it was due to my UV filter leaking current as it was half upside down...
Separated and treated with metro for 2 weeks and subsequently salt with water change every 2-3days as it was a much smaller tank

Reactions: tlindsey and kno4te

Pondscum

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2016
So, I reduced feedings, increased water changes, and started treating with MetroPlex. I got the Nitrates down to about 10ppm. The PH is around 7.4. (I'm using API Master Test Kit) All signs of HITH had disappeared. I just got home from work and the fish has two gigantic holes in his head. His behavior is totally normal and I'm dumbfounded how in an 8 hour period these legions appeared from out of nowhere. This aquarium is in my home office and I spend a few hours a day watching this fish. Last night he looked great. This is quite disheartening.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So, I reduced feedings, increased water changes, and started treating with MetroPlex. I got the Nitrates down to about 10ppm. The PH is around 7.4. (I'm using API Master Test Kit) All signs of HITH had disappeared. I just got home from work and the fish has two gigantic holes in his head. His behavior is totally normal and I'm dumbfounded how in an 8 hour period these legions appeared from out of nowhere. This aquarium is in my home office and I spend a few hours a day watching this fish. Last night he looked great. This is quite disheartening.
Oscar have visible sensory pits. Do you use Activated Carbon? Also could you post a pic of the Oscar.

Pondscum

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2016
Without exaggeration the fish went from perfect looking to having multiple large legions similar to what's pictured above in about 10 hours.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store