Problem with aggressive convict

Icky sticky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2019
West Virginia
Hey everyone, this is my first ever post so please excuse me if this is the wrong place. Here's what's happening tho. I have a 100 gallon tank with natural wood caves and hang on the back filtration. In this tank I have a 10 inch albino tiger oscar, 12 inch common pleco, and a 2 Mabye 2 and a half inch jack dempsey. I know it's amazing that the oscar doesn't eat the little fish lol (he's rather friendly), and I do feed him feeder fish from my own private stock from time to time. Well the issue is that it's a female jack dempsey and like a fool I got a 2 inch male convict assuming that different sexes would not be aggressive to each other and was completely wrong. The convict bully's the jack dempsey and has nipped his tail fin the jack just trys to run. Against tradition because I don't have many options I've lowered the temperature to 72ish Fahrenheit and put two large goldfish in as dithers. It seems to be working okay for now (2days)and surprisingly no One attacks the goldies the cconvict just follows them around. Any suggestions on how I can cut the aggression? I would like to keep the convict and be able to put the goldfish back where they belong because although it works and they seem happy they just don't look right in this group

Icky sticky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2019
West Virginia
The reason I say "like a fool" is that I didn't do research on convicts before buying, they were marked as being "community" I realize now they're not

Reactions: tlindsey

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Hey there! Welcome to the forum. Convicts can certainly be aggressive beyond there size. A photo of your tank and it’s dimensions would be good to help figure out your issues. Sounds like your convict sees the Dempsey as a competitor. Shifting the decor around could help cut aggression, as might rehoming the Dempsey. What is your filtration exactly and how long has your tank been set up for?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Welcome aboard!

As you see Cons can be quite mean and pic fights with much bigger fish.

This pair kept the obvious bigger fish in a 1/4 of the tank till I got the divider.20171019_181151.jpg

The Con probably sees the JD as competition due to similar marking. Probably need to rehome one of them.

Icky sticky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2019
West Virginia
The tank is 6 foot long 18 inches tall and 18 inches wide. I was afraid I would hear rehoming . If I do rehome one it would probably be the convict since he's the aggressive one and I would like more fish (and a bigger tank) for a good community. Any suggestions on a better dither fish I could try first?

P.s. silver dollars didn't work. Oscar thought they looked tasty, which is strange since they were bigger than the fish he gets along with. Pics coming soon

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
That's the thing, Oscar's have huge maws called mouths. All that I tried got eaten 20180103_082344.jpg
Or tried to eat it... only thing that worked was SD's. But I rehomed them due to them being skittish and felt they needed more room.

Icky sticky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2019
West Virginia
Mine seems to work well with jacks and convicts but they don't work well with each other lol. I can't figure out how to post pics. But soon as I figure it out they're coming

Icky sticky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2019
West Virginia
How many pics are there. I posted a few but only see one. I don't wanna spam you with repeat pics

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Only one.

After you upload a pic there are buttons to make it a thumbnail or fullsize.20180325_003834.jpg

So you have to pic for each picture what you want it as.

Reactions: Poseidon2.0
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store