Problem with aggressive convict

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Also you can try diversions. Get baby toys like keys and such, some that sink some that float, ping pong balls, stuff they can move around to give them stuff to do.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I say baby toys since it's all non toxic and designed to be chewed on by our rug rats. And the bright colors catch their attention.

Reactions: Icky sticky

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Check out this thread by FINWIN FINWIN

Doing a lot of what I mention to stop fights yet have many cichlids living together.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have found that JDs (even in nature) do somewhat poorly when they share waters with other cichlids (especially very dominant territorial ones), and that most central and north American cichlids (JDs come from Mexico, part of north America), have a more more heightened aggressive side in comparison to most South American cichlids from east of the Andes (like oscars).
In the first video below note how torn up the JDs are when in a habitat with other cichlids (Mayaheros uropthalmus)
027 zps4b102ffd
But below, in a Cenote where the JD population is high, and they share the waters with mostly non-cichlids (Sail fin mollies and catfish, where other species of cichlids are few and far between), they do much better.
Eden2
So after watching them in nature, my take has been JDs do better in a species only tank, with dither fish, and not a mixed cichlid community.

Icky sticky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2019
West Virginia
An update on the tank.. everything seems to be fine now and everyone is happy so far. The jack dempsey's fin has healed up nicely too.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
An update on the tank.. everything seems to be fine now and everyone is happy so far. The jack dempsey's fin has healed up nicely too.
Great! And welcome. Great choice of fish. JD's and convicts whether together or alone can sometimes be challenging.
I have found that convicts have a bit of a napoleon complex (territorial too) so it may actually feel threatened by the JD. JD may not understand what is up with the convict. I wouldn't add anymore convicts.
Sounds like you have it under control. BTW silver dollars are great dither fish but for what you have would need 3-4" min. Their shape and behavior keep them from getting eaten. Also sort of fit your biotope.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store