Problem with fx5

Zcddrew

Candiru
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Canada
So I have an fluval fx5 installed on my tank and it worked great with no issues for the longest time. Then all of a sudden one day it started having really low flow issues. I had given it a clean a month prior to this and didn't think debris build up could be an issue as everything was cleaned out pretty recently. I tried turning the power off and on too see if maybe it would expel some air. No luck. So I opened it up again and rang out all the sponges and media stuff again and turned it back on. Flow was back! Then two days later same issue. Any tips for what to do at this point? Do I need to replace some of the sponges maybe? Is something else wrong with it? Any help would be very appreciated.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
It doesn’t sound like you opened up the motor and cleaned of the impeller. You have to unscrew it from the bottom and pull the motor off, so you can clean it out. It gets a buildup of film on it and it disconnects the magnetic force that spins it. Make sure you clean the o ring off as well so you don’t end up with a leak.

It can be a pita because you basically have to take the entire thing apart to get to this but it should start back up for you real nice once it is done.

Reactions: TheReefer and Mdoka

Zcddrew

Candiru
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Canada
It doesn’t sound like you opened up the motor and cleaned of the impeller. You have to unscrew it from the bottom and pull the motor off, so you can clean it out. It gets a buildup of film on it and it disconnects the magnetic force that spins it. Make sure you clean the o ring off as well so you don’t end up with a leak.

It can be a pita because you basically have to take the entire thing apart to get to this but it should start back up for you real nice once it is done.
Thanks man I'll try it today

Reactions: Matteus

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I wasn't aware that the impeller was accessible bit I will certainly give mine a good cleaning and see if that doesn't have operating properly.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I wasn't aware that the impeller was accessible bit I will certainly give mine a good cleaning and see if that doesn't have operating properly.
Ya mine crashed after I got it, not sure if the guy who had it before me knew how to take it apart either. The impeller shaft was really mangled from sand being sucked into it so it made an awful noise. It was $60 to replace it all but it was worth it in the end.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store