Problem with Parrots

How About That

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2005
SF
Hey guys,

I've got three parrots that I'm sorta worried about. When i bought them, they were a healthy red color, but now they've turned to a very faded/flesh color. I thought they'd change back as time progressed, but they still havent. There's also a smaller parrot that seems to be picked on by the other two, and it's gotten to the point where he seldomly moves and even when it does, it runs into the other parrots alot. Should i be worried? Thanks for hearing me out guys.

Nate_N_Nicole

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Flat Rock, Mi
Could be stress, if that is the case use somr SLIM COAT or anything that helps with stress... Maybe put in some new hiding places or even seperate (the mean one) for a couple hours a reintroduce into a newly landscaped tank... If that aint it I dont know maybe its your lighting because I've bought fish that looked way better in fish stores then they did in my tanks until I got better lighting...

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Was the deep red color due to the fish being died in color? That would explain the fading, and likely the overall weakness in the fish.

viciouspisces

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2005
Kona ,Hawaii
Ive noticed that some blood parrots do that-fade in color .I could be totally wrong on this but seems like the ones that get mini hump heads ,seem to fade in color (from bright orange to light orange) and with mine end up being female (I currently have ten).I dont know if its a 'sex related' thing or a 'hybrid related'thing or what ever but I wouldnt worry too much .The 10 I have i know for a fact werent dyed .As far as aggresion between eachother -well parrots cant be quite bossy and mean (mine are constantly squabbling-minor kind tho -but thiers lots and they have lots of room) -how big is your tank? any other fish in there?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I once met a lfs owner who fed a carotene supplement to all his FHs, it enhanced the bright reds and oranges but without it they slowly faded to a less vivid color

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
i think it depends on there moods
i have 3 one being intense orangy
another a lil lighter
and the last almost pink
all about 3 yrs old
i think there color also fades as they age?

rweedon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
pullman washington
many parrots are dyed miles is probably right you should try cichlid gold (Hikari) or they have a new one they just gave us to try (the aro hates it wont touch it but everybody else loves it)

yourmylunch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2005
FL
more than likely they are dyed. some are naturaly red and most others are dyed. you could always dye them again with food color just dont dump it in the tank

How About That

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2005
SF
Thanks for the reply guys,

It's really weird though, the two seemingly dominant parrots are the ones that have fading colors, and the smaller one, that's being picked on, has a nice stable color. These guys are in a tank with three ~6inch silver aro's and three combtail gourami's, at least i think they are gourami's. Could they be intimidated by the other fishes? The smallest parrot moves cautiously, and is very hesitant when it eats. It'll slowly move towards the surface of the water, stop for a moment, then quickly eat and retreat. Is this behavior normal?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store