project just started

pleco_farmer

Feeder Fish
Jul 26, 2006
Silver Spring, MD
Very difficult to seal the acrylic against the EPDM liner. Problem is getting the EPDM to smooth out like a gasket, allowing for compression and a good seal. Secondly, the thickness of the EPDM may not be sufficient to fill the rough surface of the plywood. Plus, you hve cosmetic issues with the pass-through bolts. However, we have done tanks where the bolts have been used for a "porthole" look.

You might consider building the lower tank as a wet plywood box. On the front side, cut a viewing window, leaving a "window frame" of approximately 2". Seal the inside of the plywood box with epoxy and sand the back side of the windowed front smooth. You can silicone the acrylic to the inside of the window frame. 3/4" acrylic can span the 4' or so without bowing, given the short height. However, at 4' wide, you might want to leave a center member by cutting two windows. This also allows you to add a bulkhead rib inside of the tank to prevent bow along the long side.

Our product of choice is WestSystems epoxy. A gallon of resin should do the job. We also suggest a fillet in each seam, and then reinforcing the inner seams with tape. With a bit of sanding, the tape can disappear. This product leaves the inside of the tank somewhere near a golden color, depending on the plywood. If you would like to darken the interior, use a WATER-BASED dye prior to application of the epoxy. Aniline dyes are a good choice, over a good quality plywood, a nice uniform color can be achieved.

I've got about half of a plywood tank DIY article finished. Any interest? I could tune it up and get it posted in a week or so.

dgiotto1970

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2006
Tulare, CA
I've got about half of a plywood tank DIY article finished. Any interest? I could tune it up and get it posted in a week or so.

You betcha :thumbsup:
I have a nice 14' x 10' Storage room on one side of my patio and have been thinking
of making something like this in there to be visible from the patio.

Again Very Interested

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
Sonds like a good idea post some pics for us.

pleco_farmer

Feeder Fish
Jul 26, 2006
Silver Spring, MD
Have to start a wet-dry today, similar construction, I'll be taking pics and post a walkthrough over the next few days as it evolves. Not a full tank, but techniques are the same.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store