Protein Skimmer

Fish_are_fishfood

Sea Robin
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
MA
What are these protein skimmers? Ok, it sounds like they do something with protein, but what does that mean? Should I get one for my tank?

Ornatapinnis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio
A protein skimmer is a filter that causes dissolved solids, (liquid waste) to be consentrated into a foam that rises into a collection container to be dumped down the drain. Not typically used on fresh water aquaiums because the water tention of fresh water doesn't foam as easy as salt water. I have used p/s on fresh water with a higher than typical water pressure pump and venturi but I also was injecting ozone into the skimmer. It worked but still wasn't as affective as when use on salt water.

Fish_are_fishfood

Sea Robin
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
MA
I have a 55 gallon salt, is it worth it to buy one do you think?

Apocalypse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2005
TeXXXas
aquatic-terrors.com
I would highly recommend adding a protein skimmer to your SW aquarium. I recently broke down my saltwater aquarium and sold my protein skimmer to a good friend. I kind of regret it now, because I am thinking of setting up another sw tank. :(

You will appreciate the work the protein skimmer will do. You will be amazed at all the dissolved organic waste it will remove. :grinyes:

Ornatapinnis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio
If you have a S.W. tank and it's mostly a fish system (not a full blown reef tank) then yes get one. Do you have a sump or will you have to use a hang on the back type?

Fish_are_fishfood

Sea Robin
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
MA
Ornatapinnis said:
If you have a S.W. tank and it's mostly a fish system (not a full blown reef tank) then yes get one. Do you have a sump or will you have to use a hang on the back type?
I dont think I have a sump, so I guess I will get the hang on the back kind, but whats a sump?

Apocalypse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2005
TeXXXas
aquatic-terrors.com
A sump lays beneath the aquarium. If you have an overflow filter which sends the water to a seperate container which is located underneath your aquarium, you have a sump.

From the sounds of it, you DO NOT have a sump. :grinno:

Fish_are_fishfood

Sea Robin
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
MA
Nope, I guess you found me to be sumpless... :redface:

Culinaria

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2005
Burlington
Get a protein skimmer. Ornatapinnis sums up its function very well. Protein skimmer pull out fats, lipids, and other organics out of the system before your bacteria have a chance to break it down into nitrates. So in a nut shell,... not as much fish waste,...not as much nitrates,...not as much water changes....get a protein skimmer. CPR makes a good HOB skimmer for up to 65 gal. simple and not much to break. Red Sea's prizm is a very slim HOB skimmer that work up to 100 gal. If this is a 250 to 300 gal their berlin turbo HOB works very well. Ive used them all in many different tanks that didn't have a sump. Just remember...Big Fish ....Big S___. As much live rock and as big a skimmer as you can get.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store