Aug 15, 2005
Oregon
how do i make my own protein skimmer?

buffalo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2005
Hurst, TX
I found several how-to build sites, just type in "building a protein skimmer " in the search engine and let it roll.

Fish_are_fishfood

Sea Robin
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
MA
If it is for a saltwater tank, just add a couple mussels and oysters and you'll be all set....works for me :grinyes:

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I just had a HUGE custom built one, if i can dig up the pix of it i will post them. I dont have it anymore or i would take pix now. it can be done....goodluck!

eng55

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2005
Ames, IA Iowa State University
Check out reefcentral.com or aquariacentral.com they have plenty diy plans for protein skimmers using clean pvc or whatever u want to use. Plus plenty of people who know what they are doing when it comes to those sort of things.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Keep in mind, unless you are REALLY good at building protein skimmer, it is quite difficult to make them. I was talking with a person who makes custom acrylic protein skimmers, and the 'dimensions' of tubes, valves, and chambers is VERY important he said, in order to make the skimmer work effecient. He said if a certain tube is off by 1/4in, it could throw the whole thing off.

g0tmc

Feeder Fish
Oct 9, 2005
Arcadia, CA
agreed. this is a very hard thing to accomplish if your are not a diyer. i had tried building one for a nano tank of mine. acrylic was harder to work with than i thought. save ur time and troubles by purchasing one. its a great investment for a fishtank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store