PSA re: Betta Buddy Marimo Ball

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I saw a post on another forum regarding the Betta Buddy Marimo Ball which is a moss ball sold as a decorative plant for aquarium use. A Seattle Petco employee found invasive zebra mussels inside and attached to the moss ball and authorities were contacted. A link to the Oregon Dept of Fish and Wildlife article can be found here Invasive zebra mussels found in Betta Buddy Marimo Ball

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Thanks for the tip!

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I saw a post on another forum regarding the Betta Buddy Marimo Ball which is a moss ball sold as a decorative plant for aquarium use. A Seattle Petco employee found invasive zebra mussels inside and attached to the moss ball and authorities were contacted. A link to the Oregon Dept of Fish and Wildlife article can be found here Invasive zebra mussels found in Betta Buddy Marimo Ball
I need to get me some! My fahaka would love them. New market!

• Haha
Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I need to get me some! My fahaka would love them. New market!
Lol I was thinking something similar. I’m planning a puffer tank and am just thinking “free food and a plant!”

Reactions: twentyleagues

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Another article linked Here said the 1st report came in Feb.9, 2021 but was limited to the Betta Buddy brand. Further down the article in the What to Do section recommends checking any Marimo Balls purchased in the last few months for zebra mussels.

I think there are more alerts going out as the news becomes passed around to various forums, fish clubs and states so who knows where this will go in the coming months.

Reactions: Deadeye

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Additional states added to the list, see the following article for updates Zebra mussel update. A link is included in the article on how to clean an aquarium that has/had zebra mussels in it.

It appears a California distributor had shipped zebra mussel contaminated moss balls of varying brands throughout the U.S. to pet stores. It's also possible that other vendors not affiliated with pet stores may also have received the same product so please be aware.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store