Pseudoplatystoma Head Shapes

HELIOX

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
The Fish Room
First time creating a thread,

Wanted to share one of my grow out tubs which has a few types of TSNs.
The light was not very good. But I think it can help some people identify if you pause the vid....

The Punctifer and Tigrinum came in together around an inch in size, WC.
I believe I could tell the Tigrinum apart when around 5 inch.
1. Headshape
2. Crossback Loopy Stripes

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Nice videos and thread. Thank you for it. Punctifer is gorgeous. Got two piraiba there also.

Here is an older thread where Wednesday is teaching us how to possibly tell three species apart - fasciatum, tigrinum, and reticulatum: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...-confirm-id-on-pseudoplatystoma.586570/page-4

IDK if Wednesday is still standing by it or if his impressions and knowledge evolved. But he appears to know more than the rest of us about TSN, having kept like a hundred of them throughout the years. And here is his drawing on the head shapes (Russ wednesday13 wednesday13 you lazy bum, you are making me do your work :) )

uploadfromtaptalk1405607187786.jpg

Another couple of threads that are relevant:

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/pretty-sure-he-hit-the-magic-24-id-size.559786/

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...ver-juruense-piraiba-tiger-shovelnose.669320/

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Nice videos and thread. Thank you for it. Punctifer is gorgeous. Got two piraiba there also.

Here is an older thread where Wednesday is teaching us how to possibly tell three species apart - fasciatum, tigrinum, and reticulatum: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...-confirm-id-on-pseudoplatystoma.586570/page-4

IDK if Wednesday is still standing by it or if his impressions and knowledge evolved. But he appears to know more than the rest of us about TSN, having kept like a hundred of them throughout the years. And here is his drawing on the head shapes (Russ wednesday13 wednesday13 you lazy bum, you are making me do your work :) )

View attachment 1335719

Another couple of threads that are relevant:

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/pretty-sure-he-hit-the-magic-24-id-size.559786/

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...ver-juruense-piraiba-tiger-shovelnose.669320/

Thanks for the legwork and recgonition as always Viktor! I still stand by those drawings from many moons ago lol... its nice to see someone else i.d.ing from an overhead view and with video. I agree its a great way to decipher these guys. The tigrinum in this post matches up to my drawing. Wish i could get my hands on some true wild caught specimen such as these shared. I dont think we've ever seen a true p. punctifer, pretty amazing for sure O.P..... Tigrinum seem to have made an appearance here in the hobby a year or so ago from PredatoryFins and another member with a breeding project. Very cool to see some gems still slipping through the cracks in the midst of all the farmies readily available and possibly even more availibility of them.

HELIOX

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
The Fish Room
Hi Bigger/Better & Wednesday:

The sketch is spot on... I've had it saved on my phone for years now... and it has helped a lot & I did not know who it was originally from. Big Thanks to Wednesday !!!

The Filas are from Suriname, they make perfect tank mates for TSNs... mellow and gentle.

Comparing to Wednesday's Guide:

The punctifer head shape is very similar to reticulatum, and the corruscans to fasciatum.

Tigrinums are the easiest to ID in head shape... and is behaviorally very different... they are not shy, like to be in the current / middle of the tank... in contrast, Punctifers would always seek a hide / shelter / stay away from light. The Tigrinum is larger than the Punctifers since it always gets first dibs during feeding.

I have read in some articles that the tigrinums are caught in the middle of the river, and the punctifers from the banks where there is more shelter.

The main tank is not ready yet, so the best I could do is on tubs... Here's a better vid from today... with better side shots for Amazonfishman.

With the two punctifers cooperating more for the video... You can see the prominent white stripes on top with the very thin vertical black lines...

Ive actually seen photos of some WC TSNs which had no stripes that I believe to be punctifers as well. Kind of bland as a display fish, but absolutely GOLDEN to me.

At the end of the video, the best I can describe the head profile would be:

Left: Tigrinum; Hourglass / Long. Narrowing in the middle.
Middle: Corruscans; Parallel / Long
Right: Punctifer; Stubby Thumb Shape / Short

All of these came from their country of origin, bad shape and in odd sizes, which can increase the chance that they are WC. The Tigrinum and Punctifers came together in one shipment, where a few were lost as they grew up.

The Corruscans came in separately from Argentina. I have seen a couple of smaller spotted specimens last year, but this recent one has slightly bigger spots. A bit different from what I was expecting, but I would gladly take any spotted TSN from Argentina, Paraguay, etc....

Hope this can be useful to the community....

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Great info. Thank you so much for sharing. If I could give you and Wednesday a 1000 likes, I would. I didn't catch it right away but you allegedly have two punctifers, one corruscans and one tigrinum in that tub. Sweet!

On a side note, I am surprised your piraibas' fins are intact. My bigger bothers the smaller.

...Comparing to Wednesday's Guide:

The punctifer head shape is very similar to reticulatum, and the corruscans to fasciatum.
dazzapolypterusweeksii dazzapolypterusweeksii do you agree? Could you please post a shot of your corruscans head shape from above?

HELIOX

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
The Fish Room
Great info. Thank you so much for sharing. If I could give you and Wednesday a 1000 likes, I would. I didn't catch it right away but you allegedly have two punctifers, one corruscans and one tigrinum in that tub. Sweet!

On a side note, I am surprised your piraibas' fins are intact. My bigger bothers the smaller.

dazzapolypterusweeksii dazzapolypterusweeksii do you agree? Could you please post a shot of your corruscans head shape from above?
For Suriname Filas... its easy and best to start correctly with the same size.

I would get a group of three or four that are of very similar size best is the same.

This group in Tub 1 was originally 3 Suri Filas, I did loose one of them from an ammonia spike. All sizes were the same. No bullying at all. Very harmonious.

I do have a second group of 3 Suri Filas in another Tub, where 2 are the same size and the third much smaller. The smallest one is lightly tattered on the caudal fin, but nothing major on the body or fin spines. The other 2 similar size are doing perfect with each other. Also the 2 larger ones are growing much faster. The smaller one is getting left behind and may have to be moved out. Lesson learned.

In both cases the dominant Apex Fila in the group will grow faster and will be darker... while the others will be more silver and showing suriname spots.

If your aiming to have a group of large Filas, I would suggest to buy 3 - 4 of similar/same size and grow them out.... your gonna need some buffer since accidents can happen... Ive only kept them with TSNs, and have had very good results...

Of course the hardest part is resisting the urge to add other beautiful cats that can ruin the peace.. :)

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
So jealous of your filas. So many Suriname ones. Can't even get a Suriname where I'm from. Even if I do, they are heavily priced. Would love to maxed out tgeir growth, I bet even faster than my Brazil.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store