Pterophyllum Altum with species of Loricariidae?

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Wanted to hear people experiences who have kept Pterophyllum Altum with species of Loricariidae. I have heard they can suck on the side of the fish (same with discus) so I’m a little worried about mixing them.

The tank is a 180G with a 40G sump and will house the following:
- 8 Pterophyllum Altum
- 6 Dicrossus Maculatus
- 4 Farlowella Vittata (currently in quarantine)
- 25 ish Rummynose tetras
- 20 Sterbai cories.

I do also have 4 otocinculs in quarantine but I am undecided if they will do into this tank.
The tank will be a blackwater tank with easy to grow low light plants as well as emersed plants about the tank

I was possibly looking for a small pleco to complete the tank, and really like the L201. I wanted to see if anyone have any suggestions (Iwould prefer something a bit less common then an ancistrus but I am not completely closed to the idea of them)/ personal experience mixing P. Altum and Loricariidae together?

Thanks

Reactions: robmcd

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
I don't have any real input as to which type of pleco to suggest to you, but I really like the stocklist and description of that tank!! Please share some pics when you get the chance to!!

Reactions: tlindsey

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
Wanted to hear people experiences who have kept Pterophyllum Altum with species of Loricariidae. I have heard they can suck on the side of the fish (same with discus) so I’m a little worried about mixing them.

The tank is a 180G with a 40G sump and will house the following:
- 8 Pterophyllum Altum
- 6 Dicrossus Maculatus
- 4 Farlowella Vittata (currently in quarantine)
- 25 ish Rummynose tetras
- 20 Sterbai cories.

I do also have 4 otocinculs in quarantine but I am undecided if they will do into this tank.
The tank will be a blackwater tank with easy to grow low light plants as well as emersed plants about the tank

I was possibly looking for a small pleco to complete the tank, and really like the L201. I wanted to see if anyone have any suggestions (Iwould prefer something a bit less common then an ancistrus but I am not completely closed to the idea of them)/ personal experience mixing P. Altum and Loricariidae together?

Thanks
Try a bristlenose. They hide in the plants and look cool when they do come out. Don't get very big and the only fish he fusses with is another pleco.

Reactions: fishguy1978

Gunfleet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
the pleco eating slime coat thing is about plecos going after other bottom dwellers and slow moving fish (Polypterus, etc). I've heard of it mainly with Pterygoplichthys and Hypostomus species. I've never seen it happen with a well fed "happy" pleco.

I don't currently have any angels, butI have kept Pseudacanthus and Leporacanthicus with angels with no issues.

Reactions: Chief Tom

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
I don't have any real input as to which type of pleco to suggest to you, but I really like the stocklist and description of that tank!! Please share some pics when you get the chance to!!
Thanks mate, I will share some photos once it is setup which should be in the next week or two. Majority of the fish listed have completed quarantine but will add them slowly once the tank is set up

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Try a bristlenose. They hide in the plants and look cool when they do come out. Don't get very big and the only fish he fusses with is another pleco.
I was considering the starlight bristlenose, but wanted something a little different that I haven’t kept before which is why I was tossing around the idea of possibly either a few L201, L134 or L046.

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
the pleco eating slime coat thing is about plecos going after other bottom dwellers and slow moving fish (Polypterus, etc). I've heard of it mainly with Pterygoplichthys and Hypostomus species. I've never seen it happen with a well fed "happy" pleco.

I don't currently have any angels, butI have kept Pseudacanthus and Leporacanthicus with angels with no issues.
Thank you. I am considering how I will keep all the Loricariidae well fed considering how the farlowella and otocinclus (if I add them too) are mostly vegetarian and the plecos I am considering are carnivorous in regards to the l201 and l046. I like the L134 too which I have read is an omnivorous pleco.
I currently have wild discus with my Altums and if they weren’t moving on to a friend I would not at all be considering any species of Loricariidae

Pterophyllum sp

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2020
I started with a dozen or so oto's, and 20 or so Rummynose with my altum. Worked well for a year or so....I now have 1 oto, and 3 rummynose. Nom, nom, nom. Spendy snacks....

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
I started with a dozen or so oto's, and 20 or so Rummynose with my altum. Worked well for a year or so....I now have 1 oto, and 3 rummynose. Nom, nom, nom. Spendy snacks....
I have read that but the funny thing is, I have had 9 rummynose in with them for almost a year now and they haven’t touched them. To be for the rummynose are pretty much max grown, chunky torpedos

illumnae

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
Singapore
There's no issue with keeping hypancistrus or peckoltia plecos with discus or altums, they won't bother either of the cichlids. I'd avoid keeping otocinclus with altums as they're small enough to be targeted by altums as a snack and if they lock their spines on the way down, you may lose both fish. I'd suggest bristlenose, farlowella, sturisoma or dekeyseria (L52 or L1168) for algae control

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store