PUFFER - fahaka or Spotted Congo?

Stewey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest
I have 100 gallon tank and am more than will to get bigger if I need to. I am wanting to hear from people who have had spotted Congo puffers and Fahaka puffers. What is the difference in care? I know the fahaka gets bigger but what about personality and other things? I appreciate any help you can give me. Someone lead me one way or the other.

Thank you very much

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
One of the main differences in the two is that the Schoutedeni is usually compatible with other fish. Also the Schoutedeni is more personable and can be kept with other Schoutedeni. Males tend to be horn dogs though so if you have a male with females he will harass them to no end. Also your 100g would be fine for a Schoutedeni and if you could get more or chose other fish to live with it then you would have plenty of room. Dont think the 100 is really big enough for a 16" puffer, so you would have to up grade.
My Schoutedeni is currently in a 65g with 7 synodontis lucipinis and a butterfly fish. When my 90 cube is back up they will move into it with a group of celebes rainbows. He/she was in a 75 with 6 African red eye tetras and 10 Congo tetras those were to boisterous for the puffer and would grab his snails and take them to the other side of the tank until they realized they couldnt eat them. Made the puffer chase them across the tank I could tell he wasnt happy with tetras. Gets along fine with current inhabitants. Hope the rainbows work out in the near future.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ agree with the above...

Also depends if you want a solo wet pet or more of a community tank setup...

MVURO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2020
do you think it would be possible to keep two schoutedeni in a 40gal long, heavy planted tank?
they would be kept with 6 black corydoras.

Reactions: twentyleagues

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Due to their inquisitive nature, size and price tag etc, i would personally go a bit larger myself, but 40G would probably work for 2 on their own...

However, when keeping more social puffers in groups, its usually best to keep 3-5 or more in a suitably sized tank to avoid aggression and other potential problems from arising...

MVURO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2020
thanks for the tip, i plan on scaling it up to a 80G within a year, but for now i can get a good deal on a pair.
thusfar i already setup a ramshorn breeding tank wich is going great.

thanks!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Thats good to hear and good luck with them if you end up buying them

Reactions: tlindsey and MVURO

MVURO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2020
Yeah honestly can't wait to get them! The tank has een running for a year now only gotta move some fish and doing a bit of scaping to break lines of sight. ?

Reactions: twentyleagues
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store