puffer fish teeth

Eric9999

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2020
Does the lurker species (target puffers, congos, humpbacks, arrowheads, etc.) Need their teeth trimmed. Or can you get away with feeding mostly a soft food diet and not have to worry about that?
Thanks

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Does the lurker species (target puffers, congos, humpbacks, arrowheads, etc.) Need their teeth trimmed. Or can you get away with feeding mostly a soft food diet and not have to worry about that?
Thanks
As you probably know all pufferfish have beaks so yes something hard once in a while. Some species need there beaks trimmed more often than other's.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Normally species such as Suvatti / Palembang / Miurus etc shouldn’t require it nor do they require a hard shell diet as most wont eat hard shelled foods anyway :)

Eric9999

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2020
Normally species such as Suvatti / Palembang / Miurus etc shouldn’t require it nor do they require a hard shell diet as most wont eat hard shelled foods anyway
Is the hairy puffer included in that catagory? Im learning about these guys

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
yes, the hairy puffer is in the same category. Ive never had any issues with mine and its teeth in the years Ive had her. It will get an occasional shore crab as a treat but main diet is nightcrawlers and krill. Not a whole lot to grind teeth down on with that diet and its just fine.

Reactions: tlindsey

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
E Eric9999 , are you looking at getting one of these puffers?

Of the two I have, Arrowhead and Hairy, I find the Arrowhead kind of boring. It buries itself and pops out when it sees me to feed. If I dont interact, it goes and buries itself to just be a lump, lol. My hairy puffer is in contrast very interactive and sits around when no one is looking but swims and begs as Im in the room with her. Of course every fish is different but out of the two I highly recommend the hairy puffer.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
E Eric9999 , are you looking at getting one of these puffers?

Of the two I have, Arrowhead and Hairy, I find the Arrowhead kind of boring. It buries itself and pops out when it sees me to feed. If I dont interact, it goes and buries itself to just be a lump, lol. My hairy puffer is in contrast very interactive and sits around when no one is looking but swims and begs as Im in the room with her. Of course every fish is different but out of the two I highly recommend the hairy puffer.
i kinda agree, Suvatti / Palembang and to a certain extent Miurus all tend to be like owning pet rocks that dont normally move too much... though it does as mentioned above depend on the individual puffers personality...

so if you decide to go the route of a lurker puffer be prepared that it may not be super active or give you the traditional joy of owning a puffer that loves to beg or that you can always see in the tank ;)

Reactions: DMD123
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store