puffer tank questions

Tulip_Sniper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2008
Texas
I'm thinking of setting up a puffer tank but I need some advice from puffer keepers. I was looking at getting an Amazon puffer AKA Bee puffer. I did some research but came up with varying sizes. One site says they can get up to 5' another saying 3' whats the actual size?

Secondly tank accommodations would a 15 gallon be suitable for two of these puffers or would I be better off just putting one in a 15? If I were to just keep one should it be the only fish in there? If not what small fish would do well with it? I know their teeth continuously grow so how do you keep that in check?

Sir-KS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2008
NYC Queens/Thailand
they get about 4-5" think you best keeping 2 in a 29GAL but 15GAL for 1 puffer is find too.

Tulip_Sniper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2008
Texas
anyone else have any advice or things i should know before moving froward? So a single amazon in a 15 gallon. Would dwarf puffers be ok in there too?

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
there a freshwater species they get around 4''-6'' not a very aggressive puffer only thing is they like all puffers need hard shelled foods to trim there teeth these puffers in particuler have fast growing teeth

People have kept these puffers with other less aggresive puffers but i wouldn't recomend dwarfs also i wouldn't do it in a tank that size

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
IMO, they only grow to around 3". They also need regular TEETH TRIMMING. They need a lot of decor to keep them from being bored & pacing the glass. They are not as personable towards their owners as most other puffer species. They like to be in groups but a singleton is ok. 15g ea, is recomended (minimum)--longer footprint of the tank is preferred, as they swim a lot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store