Puffers deadly?

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
i read that the fugu puffer is the most toxic?

Doc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
NH
www.docsden.com
My own marine experience.

All the puffers I've owned or dealt with have puffed under some sort of stress. NO HARM DONE. I've also seen many semi puff after being annoyed. I've seen porcupines puff and kinda lay their spines down different like stretching. I've only seen a couple puff full on when they were stressed and that seems to stress them more.

As far as poison realeased. Never had any ill effects on my tanks. I had a grouper pick on a porcupine and nothing happened. I've seen a huma pick on a dogface and nothing happened.

my .2

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Box fish have a simalar toxin that they can release into the water if stressed, but puffers can't release theirs, From what I've read all puffers contain at least a little toxin but amounts and concentrations vary greatly even among members of the same species. The toxin is found mainly in the skin,ovaries,and intestinal tissue but also in the fatty tissues. It kills by creeping parayisis, survivors report that they were aware the whole time. Puffing air can cause problems for puffers, I don't know why.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store