Pump and Sump ?

boisblancboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Michigan
First question is about my pump. When you plumb the pump in, should you use PVC or would the clear rubber tubing work? Reason I ask is, wouldnt the pump want to move around or possibly sit unlevel with the tubing? I notice from pictures that most guys use PVC.

Second question on the sump. I have a Pro Clear Aquatics sump and on the side of the sump it shows where the water level should be, which is just underneath the bio-balls, but I see that some people run the water level higher putting some of the bio-balls underwater. What is the best thing to do, where should the water level be? Any advantages to running the water higher or lower?

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I keep the bioballs out of the water as much as I can (some run them under due to tall submersible pumps).

I have setups with PVC and clear vynil tubing and both work well. PVC just looks better.

boisblancboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Michigan
Alright good, so if I have to raise the level in my sump and it covers some of the balls, no problems. I would also imagine when it comes to cleaning that the vynil tubing would be easier.

boisblancboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Michigan
Another quick question, do you have a check valve in your return line from the sump to the tank? I would imagine you would have to in case the power goes out to keep the water from syphoning back into the sump.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I dont, but my sump is big enough to handle all of what flows back. A check valve is definitely not a bad idea though.

boisblancboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Michigan
Yeah my sump can handle quite a bit, but if you had your spray bar or nosel too far/deep into your tank, it would syphon too much back. Easiet solution would be to just keep them JUST under the surface of the water.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Keeping one layer of bio-balls underwater will assure that you have some bacteria left if power goes out and the filter backdrains to sump. And you get good biological growth in water so you're not losing anything. Just make sure ALL of the bio-balls are constantly wet.

Can you install a syphon break in your overflow pipe?

If your pump has alot of vibration you would use vinyl or rubber tubing to isolate it from the system as pvc may crack. Happens more on ponds than tanks, I only know of to indoor tanks to have this happen.

Dr Joe

boisblancboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Michigan
I am not too worried about the water filling my sump from the overflow box because that is going to be set as high as I can get it anyway to keep the water level high in the tank, thus there wont be much water that can flow back. Now like wise with the return line, as long as I set them high in the tank I dont think I would even need to use a syphon break or check valve, after I thought about this for a little long.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Alright then...

ACID TEST.

Set it up & get it running...Then shut it off and try not to look TOO worried and see what happens. :D

Dr Joe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store