Pump Remorse

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I recently bought a DC programmable pump that also serves as a wave maker and you can program it to create different waves, both in period and intensity.

It's an Eco DC4000 which I got from Your Choice Aquatics by way of the LFS.

I've seen this pump sold on the Internet by other companies for $200 but I only paid $130. I like the programability and it pumps over 1000 gph @ zero head.

Unfortunately I can't recommend it, because it is throwing an error code quite frequently when I attempt to start it. Sometimes it will start on the second try and usually must retry every 10 seconds, for as many as seven times before it starts.

The manual of operations, such as it is, is written in a terrible sort of engrish. You have to get to the very end of the instructions, before it tells you that the pump starts immediately when you plug it in, and that in order to turn it off you have to press the F button four times.

The manual is about the size of a postage stamp and you'd better have a magnifying glass to read the thing.

As long as it starts every time I'm not going to get rid of it yet, but it is no way reliable enough to go on either of the big tanks. It has a Timed-off feeding mode that allows the pump to come back on in your absence. That's the last thing that the manual tells you about and that's when you find out that in order to turn the pump off you always do it through the feeding mode.

That assumes that you get through the microscopic instruction manual on the first read. I did not and I managed to shut the thing off by virtue of a separate switch, until I decoded the complete manual.

Anyhow my money says look for a better pump than the Eco DC series

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
My LFS is trying to sell me a Vortec.

Whatever I get should be salt water rated because it could end up on the brackish tank and that is one good thing about the Eco.

It is rated for saltwater.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Well I send in a complaint to the dealer (Your Choice Aquatics) and they sent me back a couple of replies. They say that a code 7 indicates the impeller is stuck.

I suspect that may be a small adjustment of the pump housing will cure this problem.

Reactions: Nilsafeller

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Success!

The pump now works perfectly.

I determined that the main bearing carrier had a bit of casting flash . Also the "snail" or impeller housing had two spots where these parts meet. These are the two parts that are orange, and they meet so precisely this flash was causing binding of the bearings.

Reactions: Mdoka and deeda

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Just for comparison I bought a generic AC pond pump for $50 and it is cranking out 450gph to a 44" head. This is on my patio aquarium right now. I think for three times the cost that the DC4000 will put out about 50% more water. Too get a good comparison I need to put 1 inch hose on these systems and I only run three quarter so far.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
The manufacturer has confirmed that code 7 means that the impeller is idle or blocked, code 6 means that a wire is broken, and a flashing display means that the power adapter has overheated or failed.

I'm trying to get them to tell me if this pump will run ok directly off of 24 volt batteries without an adapter and I believe that it will.

But I haven't had the time and inclination to test that theory yet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store