Pump size for a 240 gallon tank?

kevvang08

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2018
I got 2 tall 120G tank. I wanna connect both to a 45 gallon drum. I'm wondering how much gph pump i need for it?

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
depends on how much flow you want?

if you’re using it as a filter - 5x-10x is standard so maybe a pair of 1000gph....

you gotta make sure you’re draining that much too though...

GL

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The recommended average minimum turnover rate on a tank is 5 times tank volume per hour to maintain proper flow thru bio media.
That is a bit bit arbitrary, because it doesn't tank the type fish ito account.
If you plan on keeping discus or other low flow/oxbow type fish like Anabantids, this rate might be too much, or adequate.
For riverine species or lacustrine species from certain wave influenced zones it may be not quite enough, or especially if they are rheophillic fish like African Tiger fish, Chuco, or Tomocichla type cichlids, or others from riffle zone, much higher flows would be apropos.
I just needed to buy a new pump for my 180 gal, with sump, and chose one the could pump 1500 GPH.
I have average riverine species so at the moment it is set @ 1000 GPH, but that little extra reserve is available in case I were add another tank to the line.

Reactions: dr exum

kevvang08

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2018
Will i do have a 1350 gph but when I use it to split between two tanks the water flow is not that strong. I'm currently using 3/4 pvc pipe for return and outflow. My tank has no drill holes so the pump would just be sucking in the water. I currently have 1 tiger oscar and the other tank I'm gonna get a silver arowana.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
That size pump is probably adequate for those fish, they both prefer oxbows in rivers where flow in mild .
Return size is generally not crucial, its about the pipe being able to handle the outflow.
I use 2 one inch drilled overflow holes to handle the flow I use.

Reactions: tlindsey

kevvang08

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2018
Will I don't wanna drill a hole in my tank. I'm afraid it might crack my tank

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
I would recommend drilling the tanks. Everything works so much better that way. The first time I drilled a tank I was sure it was going to crack, not seal properly, end up in a pile of glass shards. It was MUCH easier than I had ever imagined! I have even drilled a couple of tanks that were half full without issue.

If it were me I would use two smaller pumps, one for each tank, rather than one big pump and split the output.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

maetsuen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2020
I'd suggest a 1,200 gph would be good enough.
But then again you go higher but if it were me 1,200 gph is ok.

NCHornet

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2012
NC
I'm going to run a Jebao DCT 12000 just because I have it. The DC pumps are nice because you can control flow without restriction.
NCH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store