Pumpkinseed Temperament

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I've had them when I was not well versed in fishkeeping and found them incredibly aggressive. Granted, that could be because the tank was only something like 150-ish liters, but something to be mindful of.

aussieman57

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
Aggressive. They will kill small bass in the same tank. Channel cats are pretty tough fish; I'm thinking they would be OK. Channel cats get big though and will eventually eat the sunfish. Not sure about the Koi, but if the Koi are a lot larger than the pumpkinseed it might work.

Bassmaster360

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Treat any species within the North American sunfish family as if they are New World cichlids. That being said, aggressive and territorial. Keep with similarly-sized fish or bigger fish that won't try to eat them.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Alright, so it sounds like any species of sunfish won’t work. What native would you suggest with the koi abs channels?

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Alright, so it sounds like any species of sunfish won’t work. What native would you suggest with the koi abs channels?
To be fair the last few replies probably assumed you were going to keep them in a fish tank. If they koi and catfish are in a larger outdoor pond (which I hope they are lol) they'll be fine with the sunfish - I used to keep a couple in my pond with koi and diverse other fish.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I've had them when I was not well versed in fishkeeping and found them incredibly aggressive. Granted, that could be because the tank was only something like 150-ish liters, but something to be mindful of.
What???

150-ish liters? Not 147, or 152...but 150-ish liters? Holy crap, there's hope for you yet. You'll be talking in gallons in no time! :)

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Lol, only reason I put the ish was because I can't remember tank dimensions. I can promise you that you'd have the 147 or 152 or whatever it was had I bothered to take the measurements as a kid;)

• Haha
Reactions: jjohnwm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store