Purigen addition...

js302

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
England
Hey guys.

First off...
I added 250ml of purigen to my 180 on Friday.
I put it in a media bag and slotted it into the top of my middle media basket in my FX5.
Is that ok?

Nitrate has not reduced very much yet, from 50ppm to just a little lighter than before in colour after testing. But I've gotta say, the water clarity and polishing is unbelievable.

Secondly...
I bought some feeder shrimp (1" long transparent) yesterday and forgot. I found them today so gave them a 50% w/c and threw in a little FD brine shrimp cuz i felt a little guilty.
They loved it and finished it very quickly and now i can see it in their stomachs.
This gave me the idea of buying loads of these feeders at a cheap price and growing em out (gut loading) in a 10gal to feed my fish.
Is there any point in this or will it just be a waste of time?

Thanks in advance!!

BTW
180 has 2 Oscars, 2 Green Terrors 1 Blue Acara and a 4.5" plec ant 2 Senegalese polypterus at 8" each.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
The purigen sounds fine. The ghost shrimp are easily bred, just give them plenty of moss, and often WCs.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Make sure the purigen is in a high flow place. Purigen does take time to work, it is not instant.

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
Purigen is not going to solve a high nitrate problem, but it's a fantastic water clarifier. It's ability to absorb micron sized particles from water is unmatched.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Purigen is actually designed as a way to help keep your aquariums WQ in better shape.

Purigen said:
Purigen controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these compounds.
It isn't designed to solve high nitrate problem, but it will reduce the nitrates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store