Putting together a 180gallon Tropheus Tank.

Mastiffman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
MI.
TropheusAndMore.com
Just picked up my 180gallon tank this evening from a CL user.

Tank is 5 years old, nearly perfect glass and perfect silicon. Came with a 12" stand (not using, built my own) and basic acrylic tops (no hinges).

I built the stand a few days back out fo 2x4's and gorilla glue/ wood glue. HERE is the Link to the Stand Build. I will be skinning the stand with 1/2" Sandeply and painting it flat black with 2-4 doors...

I will be painting the back at least flat black but was thinking about a fade into a deep blue at the top middle.

I will be ordering a partial "Feature Rock Background" that will span about 56" long. It will range from 4"- 10" deep and will be about 22" tall at the highest spot.

Will most likely be using Off white, fine grain aragonite for the substrate.

Lighting will be 2 36" Coralife T5 dual stripe lights with 10k and Colormax Bulbs in each. Filtration will mainly consist of Fluval FX5's.

Here is the tank as it sits after bringing it in with one of the 36" lamps with a 10K and Blue Actinic Bulb in it. Using contruction grade 5/8" foam underneither the tank.

I want the tank to end up looking something like this.....

Will keep the thread updated with progress as it happens. Might take a few weeks so be prepared.

Mastiffman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
MI.
TropheusAndMore.com
Okay, I'm doing a test fill and today and have noticed some space between the bottom of the frame and the top of the Stand on both of the rear corners. I also check level again on the ends and front and back. front and Back are great and even. All leveling was checked on top of the stand before dropping in the foam and tank as was perfect. I'm getting some very minor offsets in leve between the ends of the tank.

Space that is abuot the same on both rear corners.

When looking at the Tank, this is the right side level, front to back.

Left Side of tank level, Front to back...

Center of tank Running lengthwise, end to end level. It's the same as the back.

These were all taken with the tank 1/4 of the way filled with water... Will there be any issue with this as the tank compresses the foam??? There is 1/2" or 9/16" light blue contrction foam under the tank. Should I not use this stuff or is it fine to use?

Thanks in advance!

Mastiffman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
MI.
TropheusAndMore.com
I was able to fill the Tank completely today and called around first if the foam would for sure compensate the for the corners and the consesus was yes. I checked the level the whole time and the tank was fine! I figured out the issue to the above post. Turns out the trim on the left rear of the tank is sitting a little high.... I also ended up getting the back of the tank painted black as well.

My Feature Rock Background and Rocks will be shipped tomorrow and should make it here by the middle fo next week....

I'm still trying to decide on Substrate. Price not a major issue but i would still like to adhere to some type of budget...

I was thinking of:

1.) The 50lbs bags of washed playsand from Home Depot ($3.53/ 50lbs bag)
2.) CarribSeas Fine Aragonite
3.) Mixtuer of both of the above....

I don't want to use pool filter sand.

Any thoughts?

koopman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2009
Netherlands
Here are some suggestions,

-Paint the side of the tank were the wall is, this will look more natural since you don't see the wall anymore.

-Don't use the play-sand, because of the different size's you have the chance that the bottom will "choke"
I've preferred using filter sand 0.4-0.8 mixed with some fine, round gravel.

Mastiffman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
MI.
TropheusAndMore.com
koopman;4744677; said:
Here are some suggestions,

-Paint the side of the tank were the wall is, this will look more natural since you don't see the wall anymore.

-Don't use the play-sand, because of the different size's you have the chance that the bottom will "choke"
I've preferred using filter sand 0.4-0.8 mixed with some fine, round gravel.

I was considering painting that side.. Maybe I will go ahead and do so...

Like Pool Filter sand? Sand at .4-.8mm? I don't want to go with gravel at all. This will be a Tropheus tank which are african cichlids. The Aragonite will help to buffer the water "somewhat" but will also provide more room for BB...

Where do you recommend that I get the Filter Sand From? Can I get that from Home Depot?

koopman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2009
Netherlands
Mastiffman;4745524; said:
Like Pool Filter sand? Sand at .4-.8mm? I don't want to go with gravel at all. This will be a Tropheus tank which are african cichlids. The Aragonite will help to buffer the water "somewhat" but will also provide more room for BB...

Where do you recommend that I get the Filter Sand From? Can I get that from Home Depot?
Don't know were to get it since I'm no local :ROFL:

What is, and will do the aragonite? buffer the KH?
(Got tanganyika's myself so very interested)

Mastiffman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
MI.
TropheusAndMore.com
koopman;4745602; said:
Don't know were to get it since I'm no local :ROFL:

What is, and will do the aragonite? buffer the KH?
(Got tanganyika's myself so very interested)

What type of filter sand are you reaferring to? Pool filter sand or some other sort? What "type" of store would I find this stuff at?

Aragonite adjusts the PH.

koopman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2009
Netherlands
Mastiffman;4745693; said:
What type of filter sand are you reaferring to? Pool filter sand or some other sort? What "type" of store would I find this stuff at?

Aragonite adjusts the PH.
I used the sand they put in swimming pool filters and very large fish tanks.
Probably you can find it were they sell the filters and supply's.

The sand is sift and pre-cleaned so you get a nice even grain of 0.4-0.8 that won't choke.

koopman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2009
Netherlands
Maybe you should glue some styrofoam to the bottom, so the rocks can't damage the glass.

I'd mine just buried under the gravel (filter sand) and rocks and had some of the corners got floating.

Mastiffman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
MI.
TropheusAndMore.com
koopman;4745890; said:
Maybe you should glue some styrofoam to the bottom, so the rocks can't damage the glass.

I'd mine just buried under the gravel (filter sand) and rocks and had some of the corners got floating.
Gotcha. "Choked".... What does this term imply? Sorry for the ignorance.

"Floating Corners"... What does this mean as well?

Thanks!~

P.S. I just takl to Talei over at Universal Habitats and they shipped out my Feature Rock Background and some extras today! So I should have it by Monday but hopefully on Friday! THAT would be Sweet!!!!

I'll keep the thread updated!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store