Putting weight on a new ray.

Aidenwb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2020
After not having one for a few years after my old male passed (at approx 15 years of age) I brought home a new little female Motoro. Unfortunately they are quite hard to come by in my area so I had to order her site unseen (from a normally fairly reputable source, many of my fish have come from them). She spent a little over 24 hours in transit and has settled in fairly fast. My only concern is that her hips are a bit visible and she has a small forehead “dent”. She settled in very quickly and after spending 30 mins under a piece of driftwood she’s off cruising the tank. She’s eaten bloodworms already and shown interest in a few pellets. Any tips of packing weight on her? I’ll be picking up prawns and night crawlers tomorrow. She’s 5” or so across and her only tank mates are a 6” silver arowana and a 6” Florida gar.

45663A00-B433-4215-9A61-82D966084F1D.png

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Has it been treated?
If not get some prazi or fluke solve quick and treat it.
Watch out for the gar and aro until the ray is bigger.
Keep feeding 3 times a day until the hip bones and forehead dent go. then feed twice a day going forward.

Aidenwb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2020
She’s eating fairly well and been treated with prazi but only seems to want to take food twice a day and will ignore it if I offer more than that. She’s currently taking raw shrimp and sinking pellets, she totally ignores nightcrawlers (cut up or whole) and other worms of all types. The forehead dent is gone and her hips are less visible so I’m happy with her progress so far. One other question, her tail seems significantly longer than other Motoro I’ve seen, is there any reason for this or just genetic variation?

E9816201-A1AA-49E0-8651-3CFCCE01FA86.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
She’s eating fairly well and been treated with prazi but only seems to want to take food twice a day and will ignore it if I offer more than that. She’s currently taking raw shrimp and sinking pellets, she totally ignores nightcrawlers (cut up or whole) and other worms of all types. The forehead dent is gone and her hips are less visible so I’m happy with her progress so far. One other question, her tail seems significantly longer than other Motoro I’ve seen, is there any reason for this or just genetic variation?

View attachment 1452123
Great update. :redface:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store