Python replacement faucet pump

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Hello, I'm sick of replacing the faucet pump all the time and having it leak even when it is new. I tried to build one out a pvc and a metal threaded adaptor but can't start the siphon. It looks like the python part has a very small hole to draw the initial siphon. Does anyone have any ideas? I used 1/2" pvc.
IMG_9232.JPG

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Looks good for refilling but for draining whats wrong with the good ol suck method

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
A python is a passive pump. basically a small hard stream with a small orifice shooting through a vacuum chamber into a larger orifice, pulling air with it creating a vacuum. this vacuum pulls the water from the hose in the tank into the chamber and into the sink. while this system works well it takes as much if not more water to pump or drain the tank.

I prefer to siphon my water out, either out a window or out a door. tho any place lower than the tank well do. shower, toilet, bathtub will do, and just use the python to fill.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Haha. I have tanks on the floor that I have to keep the water on the whole time with the python to keep things moving.
Ahhh now i see. Can you get your hands on a cheap external pump ? Ive been using an old pump to do wc's been a blessing and a huge time saver

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Ahhh now i see. Can you get your hands on a cheap external pump ? Ive been using an old pump to do wc's been a blessing and a huge time saver
I'm sure I could. How do you hook it up and continue to siphon the tank's bottom? I imagine an inline pump would need priming and if I were to throw a pump in the tanks I wouldn't have a vac on the end.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Might be easier to get it to hold siphon when you move it from tank to tank

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
You wouldnt have to maintain siphon. Gravel vacing would be an issue. I would say seitch to sand its much easier to maintain. Most of poop settles in one or two spots in my tanks i just angle the pumps towards it. Also read the probiotics sticky. It will greatly reduce waste build up... short story is dose your tank with ridx or a like product

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store