Quarantine process

etkelly22

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2018
Wondering what your quarantine process is for pups. I’ll be getting a ray in at 4-5” and will have a qt setup bare bottom. Do you automatically treat for worms/parasites no matter what? Mine will be tank raised, didn’t know if you treat no matter what? If so what do you use? Thanks

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Wondering what your quarantine process is for pups. I’ll be getting a ray in at 4-5” and will have a qt setup bare bottom. Do you automatically treat for worms/parasites no matter what? Mine will be tank raised, didn’t know if you treat no matter what? If so what do you use? Thanks

jim barry jim barry

Reactions: kno4te and Matteus

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Where is the pup from?
If its a reliable source then it should be good from day one.
If it's a Thai import then I can't recommend anything other than good luck. Some are fine and you can't say all imports are bad. But some carry a virus that no medicine will eliminate. QT will do nothing for the virus.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Where is the pup from?
If its a reliable source then it should be good from day one.
If it's a Thai import then I can't recommend anything other than good luck. Some are fine and you can't say all imports are bad. But some carry a virus that no medicine will eliminate. QT will do nothing for the virus.
Hi Jim.

can I ask what the symptoms of the virus would look like? I just brought in my trio from Thailand and one was really sick when I got her. I tried prazi and then was told by the breeders in Thailand to use an antibiotic. I didn’t end up getting the exact antibiotic that they told me to use because of restrictions we have here in Canada now. But I got her treated with what I had on hand already. It seemed to work which suggests it was an infection more so than a virus.

I am concerned that if it is a virus rather than infection, that I may not be out of the clear.

Leo Messi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Switzerland
I personally don't QT at all if (and only if) I know where the fish come from and how healthy they are. Never had an issue doing so. But if I don't know how healthy they are, then I always QT them for ~3-5 weeks in a separate tank and deworm them with prazi.

Hi Jim.

can I ask what the symptoms of the virus would look like? I just brought in my trio from Thailand and one was really sick when I got her. I tried prazi and then was told by the breeders in Thailand to use an antibiotic. I didn’t end up getting the exact antibiotic that they told me to use because of restrictions we have here in Canada now. But I got her treated with what I had on hand already. It seemed to work which suggests it was an infection more so than a virus.

I am concerned that if it is a virus rather than infection, that I may not be out of the clear.
Jim obviously knows better, but I remember his story. Has had his own stock for years, all healthy as can be... then added a Thai import -- after quarantining! Was totally healthy... the Thai ray who had said virus in himself obviously wasn't affected by it.. well, as soon as he was in the same system as the others **** hit the fan. I think almost all (maybe even all) of his pups died, some of the bigger ones were struggling etc. etc.

Took him a long time to get things clear again from what I remember. I'd say if you've got a new system and only add Thai imports - then it's no problem. But mixing them with local rays can be risky.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
QT = code for I don't trust my source...... IF you trust the source then no QT needed. Especially being tank raised.

THIS is the issue with the ray world, we as hobbyists like to trust. Flippers use this to thier advantage to peddle unhealthy/sick rays. Why? Cause a few bucks is more important to them then the rest of your stock......

Source your rays wisely.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store