Quarantine tank questions (cycling)

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
In the interests of keeping my Clown Loaches whitespot-free I always like to quarantine new fish. With the huge sump on my 2000L I used to keep a sponge filter running in there so I could kick-start the quarantine tank when needed and I never had any issues with cycling it. My 800L doesn't have so much free space and the last two times I've tried to set up the quarantine tank I've failed miserably. First time I ran an additional canister on the 800L for nearly a month then transferred it over to start the quarantine tank. The result was like I was starting completely from scratch with an uncycled filter. I tried using Stability to help establish the tank, but forgot that it doesn't neutralise ammonia (did it used to, or am I just getting old and forgetful?) and in the end I lost 30 giant danios and three small clowns. For the more recent attempt I took a tray full of Pond Matrix out of the FX5 and placed it into the canister for the quarantine tank, thinking this would be an effective way of setting up the tank with an already cycled filter, but again after adding 30 Odessa barbs I had a substantial ammonia spike which I tried to counter with Stability and Prime, but when the fish started looking stressed I ended up throwing caution to the wind and transferring them straight to the main tank to void losing them.

20+ years of experience with setting up new tanks had me thinking that both these methods should have worked fine for successfully setting up the quarantine tank without having to undergo a cycle, so why didn't they work? The most likely explanation I can think of is that the amount of media in relation to the stocking of the 800L tank (30 clowns from 2-8" plus a few small plecos and mid-swimmers) plus the Pothos helping to consume waste means that the bacteria colony on the media is fairly light, and is unable to multiply quickly enough to deal with the bioload from the 30 barbs in the 100L quarantine tank. Sound about right??

Keeping the small tank constantly running isn't something I'm really interested in as I don't tend to buy fish all that often, so for those who set up a quarantine tank each time you buy fish, what's your process of establishing it? I'm thinking next time I'll try take the media out of the FX5 a week or two earlier then dose with ammonia up to 1ppm to help build up a decent bacteria colony before adding the new fish. Bit of a PITA, but better than losing fish!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
In the interests of keeping my Clown Loaches whitespot-free I always like to quarantine new fish. With the huge sump on my 2000L I used to keep a sponge filter running in there so I could kick-start the quarantine tank when needed and I never had any issues with cycling it. My 800L doesn't have so much free space and the last two times I've tried to set up the quarantine tank I've failed miserably. First time I ran an additional canister on the 800L for nearly a month then transferred it over to start the quarantine tank. The result was like I was starting completely from scratch with an uncycled filter. I tried using Stability to help establish the tank, but forgot that it doesn't neutralise ammonia (did it used to, or am I just getting old and forgetful?) and in the end I lost 30 giant danios and three small clowns. For the more recent attempt I took a tray full of Pond Matrix out of the FX5 and placed it into the canister for the quarantine tank, thinking this would be an effective way of setting up the tank with an already cycled filter, but again after adding 30 Odessa barbs I had a substantial ammonia spike which I tried to counter with Stability and Prime, but when the fish started looking stressed I ended up throwing caution to the wind and transferring them straight to the main tank to void losing them.

20+ years of experience with setting up new tanks had me thinking that both these methods should have worked fine for successfully setting up the quarantine tank without having to undergo a cycle, so why didn't they work? The most likely explanation I can think of is that the amount of media in relation to the stocking of the 800L tank (30 clowns from 2-8" plus a few small plecos and mid-swimmers) plus the Pothos helping to consume waste means that the bacteria colony on the media is fairly light, and is unable to multiply quickly enough to deal with the bioload from the 30 barbs in the 100L quarantine tank. Sound about right??

Keeping the small tank constantly running isn't something I'm really interested in as I don't tend to buy fish all that often, so for those who set up a quarantine tank each time you buy fish, what's your process of establishing it? I'm thinking next time I'll try take the media out of the FX5 a week or two earlier then dose with ammonia up to 1ppm to help build up a decent bacteria colony before adding the new fish. Bit of a PITA, but better than losing fish!
I agree with your analysis. The bioload in a aquarium that size with the 30 barbs was overwhelming for the filter.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
In my many years of experience in and out of the hobby i've found that putting new fish in a very newly cycled quarantine tank can be just as potentially problematic as putting them straight in your display tank! I lost some very young clown loach a few months ago in a quarantine set up. In fact I believe that on a lot of occasions new fish in quarantine that start showing signs of disease a couple of days in, are not getting sick because they already had a dormant disease or they are stressed from the move, but simply because the quarantine tank is very young, it is not properly established parameter wise and it's a big shock to their system.

I've found that although the parameters can look ok on your newly set up quarantine tank and you think it's ready for your new fish, you can't beat a proper established settled environment to put them in to give them the best start.

I go completely against the grain nowadays. I don't quarantine at all. My new fish are acclimatised to my display tank and put straight in! When I do buy fish from my LFS I usually buy fish that have been there a while and are settled and look good. I know the guys there pretty well and they know what they're doing, most of them anyway!

I know my method is frowned upon but I haven't had any serious setbacks doing it this way. Have I just got lucky? Maybe. Will disaster strike one day? Perhaps.

Quarantining, for me anyway, has not solved any problems, if anything it has caused me problems. In this hobby you do what works best for you and at the minute i'm happy with the way I do it.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
I'm glad it's been working for you but I know others are going to say that you've just gotten lucky.

I would never risk my display tank fish without first quarantining my fish. I think it was Duanes who said he does a six month+ quarantine and I do something similar. That's in addition to a deworming process of general cure and two.rounds of levamisole. I think 5 months is shortest quarantine I've had.

If I get a bigger tank (hoping to get a 300+ gallon) I'll still do this even if it'll take a long time to stock it. My two ten gallons then will always be cycled as I move fish to main tank and then get new fish in for quarantine.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Five months is a long quarantine, but I guess that's a good option if you want to treat for worms, parasites etc. Touch wood everything seems to have worked out this time, and I guess treating for something like White Spot in the 800L tank wouldn't be half as bad (or expensive) as in the 2000L, so I can possibly relax a little.

Or maybe I should take it as a good excuse to run another tank.....
:p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store