Question about Eels

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
I don't know if there are any true species of freshwater eels available. However, the ones that are but aren't true eels are tire track eels, fire eels, spiney eels, and a few others that are less common.

They don't have any special needs, except they'll hide in every possible niche they can find (they often end up inside your filter/sump). Large eels will eat fish, but smaller ones prefer worms.

Many will grow over 2ft, however, that'll take years and years. Eels over 2ft are actually very rarely seen and those that are are often very old.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
If you want something wierd and slightly gross call around to fish hatcheries, some of them have lamprey problems and are happy to let you take one. Tridentatus can be fed on liver and beef heart.

American eels, swamp eels, and european eels can all be occasionally found on sale on the web. All are true eels and reach between 2 and three feet. Over the years I have kept several american eels and think they are great. they will take sinking pellets, market shrimp and a variety of live food. they become tame enough to hand feed and the only problem I have had with them is keeping them in the tank. Every one I have had has learned to push against the lid while bracing against the bottom, they are strong enough to dislodge a brick wieght so use a bar clamp or glue on a cabinet latch.

I found out that not all swamp eels are true eels, some are spiney eels.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store