Question about Metro + Focus and feeding.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Sounds like you have it covered, good luck.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
First off, a great article, I recall when it was first published on Discus Holland, and then later posted on cichlid-forum. I was a mod on CF at the time and I recall finding it odd that African cichlid keepers didn't connect the dots to S. vortens, and what is commonly referred to "Malawi bloat". Probably due to the fact that in Africans HITH is seldom an issue, most fish severely infected die long before pits in the head surface. Again, a great article for 15 yrs ago, one of the best out there - but red wigglers in my opinion are a bit of a red herring. I have never seen any type of study to back up such a claim. Outside of their circle of discus keepers in the Netherlands, I have never heard anyone with a scientific background in this field speak of such a thing.

I think that the red wiggler comments are best described in that articles end note section, where the authors state: "Consider experience - never underestimate experience, it is a vital ingredient in any rational justification for diagnosis, prognosis and treatment etc. However experience should always be tempered with scientific rationale and never followed blindly."

To which I doubt that one will ever find any scientific data to support the red wiggler theory. Years ago someone in the Netherlands most likely believed that they had found a cure via the nutritional aspects of worms, and ran with it.

Experts in this field do not advocate feeding red wigglers to treat S. vortens and/or Hexamita.

Reactions: philipraposo1982

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
So in 2 days it will be a full 2 weeks of heavily dosed metro food treatment completed. Problem is that I still see partial poops that are clear or transparent brown color.

I'm not sure if I should go another week of this or just call it quits? Nothing has changed in terms of his personality or level of activity or hunger. His color has always been amazing and he appears to be healthy if you didn't notice the small pit and never saw his random clear poop.

As far as the small put is concerned it's not closing up at all but not getting deeper or bigger. I feel like this has been the case now for months.

Could it be possible that I just can't cure this? So do I keep pounding him.with metro till the poop is 100% normal? I fear if I keep up with metro for too long it's going to do more harm then good.

I don't know what to do...

Also note that I have been maintaining 1 tablespoon of Epson salt per 5g of water as well.

Advice please?

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
I believe that the metro has done everything it's going to do, so continuing treatment can only cause harm. I would stop treatment now in fact.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
While I tend to agree with you with stopping treatment, how do I ensure he stays healthy at this point?

Does he still have parasites? Is the poop issue something else?
It could be diet related (half regular, and half clear) so changing to another brand with the right ingredients can help. It can take a few days to weeks before you notice a difference.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Regular NLS or thera - a?

Omega Veggie Wafers?

Is the worms new? Or part of the regular diet since the beginning?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I believe that the metro has done everything it's going to do, so continuing treatment can only cause harm. I would stop treatment now in fact.
+1

As far as diet, I would start by removing the worms from the diet, and see if that makes a difference over the next 30 days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store