Question about price.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I’m sure these posts get old, but I’d like some outside input. ***Sorry it is a bit long winded.***

Here’s the deal. There are 4 tanks I’m looking at. Honestly I could be happy with any of them, but being my cheap self I won’t feel good if I feel I overpay.

Tank 1.
225, comes with stand, lights, sump, pump, heater, the works. As a bonus it has black sand in it and currently running. So I’m thinking they might let the sand go with the tank. I just happen to be planing on putting black sand in whatever tank I get, so that would save me just a smidge.
Price they say is negotiable. Asking $750

Tank 2.
220, they say dimensions are 72x34x30. I’m pretty positive that’s a typo and that they ment 24” not 34”. Comes with tops, lights, and stand. “The works” it says. But doesn’t mention any filtration, so I’m not expecting it comes with anything.
Hasn’t been used in 6months, some scratches from a different owner on one side of the tank. They want it gone ASAP, but price is a firm $750.

Tank 3.
220, comes with stand, eheim filter, lights, but the switch on light doesn’t work.
Very clean looking tank and stand is on wheels. Wheels can be removed I was told.
Asking $750 and says I am welcome to make an offer.

Tank 4.
This is going a little crazy, but why not add it to the running?
350, comes with stand, 2 carbon filters(canisters?) and other miscellaneous. One small scratch on bottom from a rock.
Asking $1,200

My gut feeling is to go for tank 1
I feel it’s the best deal, but I still feel like it’s too much. What is an offer that wouldn’t be insulting?
Not just for tank 1 but for the others as well? Or am I crazy and these prices are about what I should be expecting for tanks this size?
I got my 75 for $50 and my nearly new 70 for free, so I’m struggling. Lol

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Tank number one sounds about as turn key as it gets.

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Tank number one sounds about as turn key as it gets.
I agree. I think a tank this size a sump only makes sense. I am clueless about them and how they work. So if I got it I’d need yalls help. Lol
I think I get the basics, but how it sucks the water out has me all kinds of confused.

Would an offer of $500 be too low? My husband said to start at $550, but I’d want to go lower so hopefully we meet closer to the price I want.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Oh yeah,youd get plenty of help on setting up your sump system and five hundred should be a good starting number.You might not go to far over that before the seller gives in.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I hope so! This one I think has been up for a while so I’m hoping they just want it gone.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I hope so too,keep us posted on how it turns out.

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
Tank 1 sounds like the best deal.

Knowing the location would help determine how good of a deal it is, in North Central Kansas those would all be very reasonable prices, particularly option 1.

Also, you have to consider not only what you want to pay, but what someone else in your area is willing to offer. They may not be on the market long

Good luck, let us know what you land on!

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Tank one was gone before I got a chance to message him that night. I’ve been so bummed I haven’t been jumping on anything right now.
Then the other day the guy with the “350” messaged me back with the tank measurements. I knew the picture didn’t look like it could be that big. It too is a 225. I wanted to say something but my husband said to just leave it be. I see he changed his ad now to say it’s a 230. And still asking the same amount. That makes me kinda crazy. Lol

I’m still looking at some used tanks, but we did visit a small shop this past weekend and looked at tanks. They sell used and new. I was told to call the owner and ask about their bigger tanks(they don’t stock anything in store over 125 due to taking up too much space) and a big sale they have in March. So I’ll be calling him and seeing what new would cost me. I guess the up side to that would be knowing the tanks full history and no scratches from a previous owner being clueless on how to clean the glass.

So I’m back at square one again. I’m disappointed and it’s my fault for being too indecisive. It just kills me to pay a lot for used stuff.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store