question about reverse flow undergravel filter..

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
guys, how exactly do you setup a reverse flow undergravel filter? where and what position would you put the powerhead at? and can you do reverseflow using areator alone?

i've heard they are pretty effective and i'm goin to test its effectiveness in a 35gal tank so any help would be appreciated especially those with illustrations for me to easily understand :)

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I have heard of this and it would reduce the problem of detritus accumulating on the substrate, I have never done it. The one tank I saw rigged that way had a small power head on each uplift tube but backwards so it pulled water through a coarse screen and forced it down the tubes so that the cleaned water came up through the gravel. The guy who had the tank said he had to downsize the power heads or it made the gravel dance.I like ugfs but only as a supplement to other filters. I runthem from different powerstrips on a seperate electric circuit so if a breaker trips at least one type of filter is still running.

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
thanks guys..

but i went for the regular overhead instead.. was planning to try the undergravel since i've got some just lying around but decided against it instead.. thanks anyway :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store