Question about when is it time to change filter media

Finthusiast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2019
Today I went to do my weekly water change on my ten gallon aquarium and this time it was super dirty. Just curious if I went too long without changing the media. Here is a pic I took it started to get like a white and drippy kind of substance (beneficial bacteria?) all over and when I slosh in water tons of particles come off (also beneficial bacteria?) So far I have cleaned the filter pad by sloshing it around the tank water I that I removed from water change. I cleaned the filter housing and put the filter back in.

as a side note I had some lava rock filled with same white substance (beneficial bacteria?) as filter media and I took it out and put it into my new aquarium to help with cycling. Is this effective at helping the cycle?

793C03F4-B652-48BC-A68F-73D8B89FD99E.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
First point of contact for your water when it gets into your filter is the mechanical filtration. This should be fine enough to take out the particles so that only clean water is entering your biological side. If your mechanical filtration isn't fine enough, or you simply leave it too long, then it gets full of gunk and as a result dirty water can then pass onto your next stage, biological filtration.

It seems that this is what's happened in your case. Excess crud finding its way into your bio side is not really what you want. The build up, over time will inhibit flow through your bio media and ideally you want a good even flow of particle free water rushing through there.

I have large pads of filter floss as my mechanical and although my water changes are weekly, the changing of my filter floss, due to build up of gunk, can be every couple of days sometimes. If I don't do it this way my bio side would be inundated with crud, and over time my bio side would become less efficient.

I just think that maybe swishing your mechanical filtration about a bit more often, other than just water change day can't hurt.

Benificial bacteria, down in my sump anyway, seem to form in tiny clumps, many thousands of them. They are an olive green to browny type colour and sometimes the clumps will form together to form stringy formations that slowly sway in the current.

And yes, placing mature bio media in a new set up helps give a new aquarium a kickstart in the nitrogen cycle.

Finthusiast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2019
is the filter cartridge what you are referring to as mechanical filtration? And everything after that is considered the biological filtration?

I have been using filter cartridges that have carbon in them is there a recommended alternative that doesnt use carbon that you know of?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
is the filter cartridge what you are referring to as mechanical filtration? And everything after that is considered the biological filtration?

I have been using filter cartridges that have carbon in them is there a recommended alternative that doesnt use carbon that you know of?
As you look at the filter, and imagine the direction of the flow of water, the first part of filtration that the water passes through is your mechanical filtration. Anything after that is referred to as biological filtration. And sometimes, as you are describing, there is another section that a lot of modern mass produced filters have, which is chemical filtration, the carbon bit.

You don't need the chemical filtration, the carbon, most people just take it out and replace with more bio media.

Finthusiast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2019
Ah I got ya thanks for that run down! If I remove the carbon is there anything else I will need to do to ensure my tank stay just as clean?

Reactions: tlindsey

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Ah I got ya thanks for that run down! If I remove the carbon is there anything else I will need to do to ensure my tank stay just as clean?
Don't overstock, don't overfeed and generally just keep on top of your tank maintainance schedule. And as long as that all important mechanical filtration section is swished out/replaced on a regular basis your tank should look fine.

Have a look on line regarding chemical filtration, there's loads of info out there. It'll just give you a heads up on what it achieves and instances of when you actually might need chemical filtration in your tank.

I'd love to give you some links to some but i'm thick so you'll have to put some leg work in:grinno:

Finthusiast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2019
Thank you! You and many others here at mfk have been so helpful and knowledgeable about everything I ask I am so appreciative of this website and you guys thank you again I will keep around with more questions maybe one day Ill be able to help someone else out lol! :)

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
esoxlucius esoxlucius nailed it. It sounds like your were just a bit behind on your filter maintenance, and I would wager that it was only a issue of unsightliness, and that your tank was still perfectly safe for fish. A lot of people hot rod hob’s so they aren’t relying on cartridges. It appears that’s just what you did.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
You can't see beneficial bacteria, unless your looking thru a microscope.
I only replace mechanical media when it starts falling apart, on a small tank like yours should be squeezing out the gunk in old tank water at least once per week, maybe twice or even 3 times, when your doing a partial water changes.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
You can't see beneficial bacteria, unless your looking thru a microscope.
I only replace mechanical media when it starts falling apart, on a small tank like yours should be squeezing out the gunk in old tank water at least once per week, maybe twice or even 3 times, when your doing a partial water changes.

I personally do exactly what Duane stated don't replace mechanical such as sponges until they are getting flimsy and falling apart. I swish mechanical of debri every wc.

Reactions: Finthusiast
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store