Question about wild caught Peacock Bass.

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
Hey guys I just had a quick question. I know wild caught fish can be more valuable than farm raised fish and especially with Peacock Bass.
I was wondering are wild caught Peacock Bass caught in Florida as desirable and worth as much as ones caught in the Amazon?
I was just watching some videos on them catching them in Florida and some of those fish are absolutely Beautiful and look like they would be worth a lot of money to the right person!!
I would really appreciate any insight anyone can give me on this!!!

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Do I hear the unique sound of a money-making scheme being concocted...?

I don't know if Florida's Peacocks originated with aquarists releasing unwanted fish...or with anglers intentionally trying to create exotic fishing opportunities. Either way, it would be interesting to see the pendulum swing all the way back to the point where these invasives began to be collected for aquarium use, since they are already targeted by anglers.

Reactions: SBM

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Only problem with some invasives species is that some crossbreed with some other invasive species, producing hybrids. You would have to go out of your way to prove the genetics of the invasive peacock bass are pure species like those collected in the Amazon. Most want pure species when buying an Amazonian fish.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The government released Cichla back in the 80s into Florida Waters to compete with other invasive species (like Tilapia).
As to whether or not their ancestors would be worth more, is another question.
Calling them wild caught is a bit iffy, because in truth, they should really be thought of as feral caught.
Here in Panama they escaped a Dr's home pond into Lake Gatun during monsoons in the 60s, and have become well established, but.....
here, they don't get as large (about 1/3 smaller than those in the soft waters of the Amazon).
The water here, is mineral rich, and high pH (8.2+).
In some ways the ones that have adapted to high pH water may be better suited for aquarists in hard water areas, less chance of chronic HITH.

Last edited:

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Hey guys I just had a quick question. I know wild caught fish can be more valuable than farm raised fish and especially with Peacock Bass.
I was wondering are wild caught Peacock Bass caught in Florida as desirable and worth as much as ones caught in the Amazon?
I was just watching some videos on them catching them in Florida and some of those fish are absolutely Beautiful and look like they would be worth a lot of money to the right person!!
I would really appreciate any insight anyone can give me on this!!!
As duanes duanes has already stated… the Florida “strain” was intentionally released there to combat other invasives. If you read the article provided by the state about it, it states they released their own strain of hybrids. i.e. farmie junk lol… they called them “butterfly peacocks” and who knows what mix to be exact. To a novice, sure u could probably sell them. Anyone who actually keeps bass and is knowledgeable would not care for them. There probably lesser quality than the “farmies” available in the hobby already. IMO there not “real” peacock bass and could’t hold a candle to even the smallest growing wild species let alone the giants like temensis… people are dumb tho, and stupidity sells ??

Reactions: SBM and Tony A.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Most have hybridized in our fl waters. Think this was brought up before. Don’t think you’re allowed to catch and sell.

I don't know if Florida's Peacocks originated with aquarists releasing unwanted fish...or with anglers intentionally trying to create exotic fishing opportunities. Either way, it would be interesting to see the pendulum swing all the way back to the point where these invasives began to be collected for aquarium use, since they are already targeted by anglers.
Sounds like it too.

Reactions: Tony A.

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
As duanes duanes has already stated… the Florida “strain” was intentionally released there to combat other invasives. If you read the article provided by the state about it, it states they released their own strain of hybrids. i.e. farmie junk lol… they called them “butterfly peacocks” and who knows what mix to be exact. To a novice, sure u could probably sell them. Anyone who actually keeps bass and is knowledgeable would not care for them. There probably lesser quality than the “farmies” available in the hobby already. IMO there not “real” peacock bass and could’t hold a candle to even the smallest growing wild species let alone the giants like temensis… people are dumb tho, and stupidity sells ??
You would be amazed at some of the beautiful fish they are catching.. if you get a chance go on You Tube and look up "catching Peacock bass in Miami" I was definitely amazed by them and the Snake Heads people are catching down there..

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO

LOL... Good idea... But no I live in Ohio... I was just watching videos on You Tube and some of those fish are amazing... I thought it could be a good hustle for someone who lives there... Thanks for the help..

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
The government released Cichla back in the 80s into Florida Waters to compete with other invasive species (like Tilapia).
As to whether or not their ancestors would be worth more, is another question.
Calling them wild caught is a bit iffy, because in truth, they should really be thought of as feral caught.
Here in Panama they escaped a Dr's home pond into Lake Gatun during monsoons in the 60s, and have become well established, but.....
here, they don't get as large (about 1/3 smaller than those in the soft waters of the Amazon).
The water here, is mineral rich, and high pH (8.2+).
In some ways the ones that have adapted to high pH water may be better suited for aquarists in hard water areas, less chance of chronic HITH.
Facts

Reactions: Tony A.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store