Question for those of you using a canister filter on your poly tanks

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
How do I cover the gap the intake and outake of the canister filter makes so that my polys won't escape?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Is it strong enough to stop a decent size one from jumping?
Depends on how long it's been there I'd guess. It's more of a visual barrier effect. Keeping your water level a couple of inches below the top has a couple of reasons with polys. First they need to breath air. Second more empty space to travel through to get to some escape point. I've found that if polys have a proper set up with multiple hides it stops the things that make them want to jump. Of course there are always a few that will jump no matter what. I have a 300g poly pond I covered with bird net for a long time. I haven't used the net in over a year. Water level sits about 5" below the top. Theres a lot of drift wood so they can hide and get away frome each other if they want to. It's all about making it hem feel comfortable. Most of mine rarely hide. But when they get spooked they go for the wood first not out.

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
Thanks!
Depends on how long it's been there I'd guess. It's more of a visual barrier effect. Keeping your water level a couple of inches below the top has a couple of reasons with polys. First they need to breath air. Second more empty space to travel through to get to some escape point. I've found that if polys have a proper set up with multiple hides it stops the things that make them want to jump. Of course there are always a few that will jump no matter what. I have a 300g poly pond I covered with bird net for a long time. I haven't used the net in over a year. Water level sits about 5" below the top. Theres a lot of drift wood so they can hide and get away frome each other if they want to. It's all about making it hem feel comfortable. Most of mine rarely hide. But when they get spooked they go for the wood first not out.

Reactions: twentyleagues

KingLou

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2020
So Cal
use a bird net in my pond as well and i removed the snap on nozzles from canister filter and hooked hoses up straight to the nipple to keep gaps smaller and closer to the top. The roots from my pond plants and slate rock hides keep them happy and from jumping when the get spooked. I noticed the like the shallow shelves with alot of roots rather than rocks so a net is a must for me just in caseScreenshot_20210923-221801_Video Player.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
use a bird net in my pond as well and i removed the snap on nozzles from canister filter and hooked hoses up straight to the nipple to keep gaps smaller and closer to the top. The roots from my pond plants and slate rock hides keep them happy and from jumping when the get spooked. I noticed the like the shallow shelves with alot of roots rather than rocks so a net is a must for me just in caseView attachment 1473844
Nice Ornate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store