Question on Tire Track Eel & Appetite

DeathStalker

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
United States
Ok, so unfortunately I startled my 3' TTE last week and she jumped out the open lid :( Face first to the floor. Then when I tried to pick her up the 1st time, she slipped outa an, you guessed it, face first back onto the floor. I got her back in after that, but I could see that she had sustained some damage to her right jaw - upper and lower (plus there was some blood, but not a lot). It's been a week now, and she's still not even looking at Nightcrawlers (even tried some Red Wrigglers). She's FAT - and yeah, I mean REALLY fat - VERY thick and very tall throughout her body. Her mouth is starting to look a lot better now - she clearly "moves" it breathing. Any idea how long they can go without eating? (No, no tankmates missing either, lol). Just concerned about her. For about 2 weeks before she jumped out, her appetite had been down, and she seemed to have issues keeping the worms down - she'd sallow them as normal, but then it would take her a while getting one down, and sometimes, she'd even let them get back out. When she did keep them down, she seemed to be doing a lot of "gulping" - kind of tossing her head up and back. Honestly I can't recall just how long I've had her - could be between 5 & 10+yrs (I'm terrible for remembering when I get things :( ).

Anyone think this is something to be concerned with? Water conditions are perfect, regular water changes, and have been adding in some Stress Coat with every change.

Oh, keep in mind, that just a couple of months ago, she could easily go through a dozen+ good sized crawlers with no issue at all most days, but she has had he "off" days where she's gone 4-5 days without wanting to eat.

Thanks! :)

--- DS

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Maybe some months w/o eating if it’s big. 2 weeks isn’t too bad but does get concerning. Just have to be patient and hope the eel starts eating again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store