Question regarding methylene blue dips to cure infection/bacteria

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
Hi everyone,

I just want to get an idea how many days (1 dip @ 50ppm concentration for 10seconds) do I need to do this dip to insure a small wound is not infected and is clean of bacteria?

I just finished his second dip but obviously don't want to stress him more than I need to with this. I got a pretty good system where I can catch and dip and release in about 30 seconds total. Even had the wife measure him in the net (6.75" for those interested) without any real delay.

I don't want him to hate me and fear me going forward.

I should mention that I am not sure if the small wound (hith) is even infected or anything. I am doing this to help healing and prevent anything from happening.
Thanks.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I would say dip once a day for 5-7 days. Should stain the clean healthy tissue especially without any slime coat around if I remember right.

Reactions: tlindsey

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
If it is doing anything, you should see signs of healing on the affected spot by day 5. I personally prefer 6ppm baths at 30 minutes (1ml/gallon) so that the MB can bring more oxygen to the fish to help with the healing process.

Reactions: RD.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
I just finished the third dip (day 3) and I am looking at the wound but it is not being dyed blue.

Does this mean there is no open flesh or wound that is infected?

Is it still necessary to do the last 2 dips?

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Like I mentioned. It should dye healthy tissue from what I rememeber. There's no healthy tissue being exposed. Doesn't mean infection. Not necessarily a bad thing. Would finish the 2 days.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
On kordons dip instructions it doesn't say anything regarding 5 days or any number of days for that matter.

Also, after reading more about MB it appears that it's not even meant to kill / fight infections that are bacterial but rather fungal

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
On kordons dip instructions it doesn't say anything regarding 5 days or any number of days for that matter.

Also, after reading more about MB it appears that it's not even meant to kill / fight infections that are bacterial but rather fungal
It'll help with mild infections. Especially like fin rot.

But with severe infections I would use something else or add this to something stronger, like dual therapy.

Reactions: RD. and Rocksor

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
MB is the first synthetic mild antispetic.

https://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Monographs/vol108/mono108-06.pdf

Methylene blue is used in human and veterinary medicine for several therapeutic and diagnostic procedures, including as a stain in bacteriology, as a redox colorimetric agent, as a targeting agent for melanoma, as an antihaemoglobinaemic, as an antidote, and as an antiseptic and disinfectant (O’Neil et al., 2006; NTP, 2008)

Reactions: RD.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
do you have a picture? how minor of a wound is this?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store