Questions about Hoplo Catfish

comprehend13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2019
Hello! I added 3 Hoplo catfish to my 90 gallon fish tank (see attached) last Friday, and they spent almost all of their time hiding in the Hornwort. Furthermore, I haven't really seen them eat anything.

Do I need to add more hiding spots to entice them to come out, or is this just a normal adjustment period? Also, are there foods in particular that Hoplos really enjoy? I would feel better seeing them eat something.

1112191442.jpg

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I have a hoplo in my 75 and have had it with lots of Pvc pipes and bare of anything and he is active no matter what. I’d give them some time.
Mine seems to particularly like night crawlers cut up.

Reactions: comprehend13

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Most pellets are acceptable. Not too picky either. I wouldn’t add any places to hide. Let the hoplos settle and they’ll come out soon.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Hoplo's are not a catfish which need hiding places. They will pass under rocks etc. But don't hide there like other catfish types and they don't look for rocks as territory. Give them time and they will be out and about most of the time, seemingly more so the older they get. Try a little frozen (or fresh/live) bloodworm, although Hoplo's are not fussy at all about what they eat although I have to admit that they are also a fish which are a sifter so manage to find food even after you have fed them a while ago, hence you tend to see them eat less at feeding time than some other fish.
that's a fine looking tank for them !

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
That is indeed a great-looking tank. I think too they are merely adjusting. Catfish can fst a long time, weeks and months if need be, so 5 days is nothing to worry about most usually.

They have a small mouth, hence the name porthole, so they prefer small size feed items. Small pellets, flakes, etc. and they are tireless cleaners of all surfaces and substrate.

comprehend13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2019
Thanks for the quick replies - it sounds like the consensus is I should give them more time to settle in.

Will check back in a few weeks to give you guys an update!

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
You often find hoplos in numbers in sales tanks and can be mistaken for thinking they are true schoolers, and often when they are small they sometimes spend time in loose groups, but in my experience they are social loners, meaning just as happy alone or together. As they age they tend to be a little more loner, coming together as they pass, with a playful whiskering of each other before going their separate ways again. Still, would certainly say they benefit from being kept in threes or more.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store