Questions for a lizard/fish keepers

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
So I have been thinking of using my glass 125 for a reptile enclosure for about 6 months maybe then back to fish. Worried that maybe the silicon could dry out in that time. The reptile needs 85% humidity so would you think that may save the seals. If not I won't use the tank and go with plan B.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
So I have been thinking of using my glass 125 for a reptile enclosure for about 6 months maybe then back to fish. Worried that maybe the silicon could dry out in that time. The reptile needs 85% humidity so would you think that may save the seals. If not I won't use the tank and go with plan B.
I’ve left tanks sitting in garage in CA heat for two years and filled it back up NO PROBLEM

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Plan B is the acrylic tank. Now we have all seen the top of an old acrylic tank right, how it's warped and discolored from the lights. Would that happen to the whole tank with heat and UVB lights inside of it for 6 months or so?

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
I've kept reptiles for a few years now. And there have been times when I quickly need a hospital tank for some fish, so I put my geckos in a different enclosure and used their tank. I've never had problems with the silicone sealing. And the gecko tank is kept in the 80-90 F, and low humidity, so even the dryness and high temp has ruined the silicone. Silicone usually degrades with age, so I would check the age of the tank (if the tank wasn't resealed). There's usually a slip of paper in the bottom edge of the tank. Just look at the bottom of the tank edge and you should find a piece of paper that has the date of when the tank was made.

And an acrylic tank will get scratched up really bad from the lizards. Especially if you're planning on keeping bearded dragons. they enjoy clawing at the walls. stick with the glass tank is my advice. you shouldn't have problems with the silicone that are the result of keeping it as a reptile aquarium.

Reactions: tlindsey

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Thanks all for the info, I have decided instead to just build one instead.
Shortly here I will be starting a thread on the construction.

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
Thanks all for the info, I have decided instead to just build one instead.
Shortly here I will be starting a thread on the construction.
oh wow, I just realized how long ago this thread was created. lol. But yea, I think seeing the construction would be educational. I've always bee kinda interested in building my own tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store