Questions on getting Datnoids on Pellets.

George Fertern

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2016
Have had my Sumatran IT Dat for a couple of months now. He's about 3" and will eat tilapia out of my hand, bloodworms, krill, and Mysis shrimp but doesn't show any interest towards pellets (no surprise). I'm thinking of moving him to a grow-out tank and picking up a few NTT Dats. My question is does the type of pellet matter for growth, health, and whether he'll/they'll take it? Of course, a veggie pellet wouldn't work, and most people on the forums I've looked at feed Hikari massivore. I was thinking of picking up the Northfin alternative as it seems like the ingredients are a little better, but I'd have to crush up the pellets. Right now I just have some Northfin cichlid pellets which are still pretty high in protein, but as I said, no interest at all. Soak them in blood worms? Starve? Break up the Massivore?

Any thoughts, objections, comments, insights, experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Have had my Sumatran IT Dat for a couple of months now. He's about 3" and will eat tilapia out of my hand, bloodworms, krill, and Mysis shrimp but doesn't show any interest towards pellets (no surprise). I'm thinking of moving him to a grow-out tank and picking up a few NTT Dats. My question is does the type of pellet matter for growth, health, and whether he'll/they'll take it? Of course, a veggie pellet wouldn't work, and most people on the forums I've looked at feed Hikari massivore. I was thinking of picking up the Northfin alternative as it seems like the ingredients are a little better, but I'd have to crush up the pellets. Right now I just have some Northfin cichlid pellets which are still pretty high in protein, but as I said, no interest at all. Soak them in blood worms? Starve? Break up the Massivore?

Any thoughts, objections, comments, insights, experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)
Insert peices of pellet into Tilapia.

Reactions: Rayfishowner

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
I agree with what Tom said above. My baby indo took pellets as soon as it went into my tank. I feed massivores and my datnoid loves it. I don’t break up the massivores as my 3 in dat will inhale 2-3 whole as their mouths are able to retract and expand. I would recommend fasting it for a week and trying a pellet or tilapia with a pellet inserted inside. Usually when they get hungry, they’ll eat what’s available. Also, if you have other fish that eat pellets well, you can introduce them to you datnoid as I find they are quick learners and will start to pick up that behavior if other fish are in a frenzy. Good luck!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
K krichardson

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Get them on masivor ASAP. Mine are huge and it’s so easy to feed. I bought 10 Dats about 11 years ago. As soon as one took the massivor the rest did, they learn from each other. It was a couple days of one or two pellets until one of them took the pellet. Then I just kept putting pellets in until they were all full. They are 20” now! CB1F967D-5757-4C65-B556-70F68FCDE363.jpeg

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Get them on masivor ASAP. Mine are huge and it’s so easy to feed. I bought 10 Dats about 11 years ago. As soon as one took the massivor the rest did, they learn from each other. It was a couple days of one or two pellets until one of them took the pellet. Then I just kept putting pellets in until they were all full. They are 20” now! View attachment 1443933
Damn those are huge. I have my baby datnoid with angelfish and at first it would spit out pellets, but once it saw the angelfish eating flakes and nibbling at the massivores it instantly took them and now will come to the front of the tank to greet me.
Also what would you say is the growth rate for yours (when you first got them) and how often and how much do you change water?

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Also what would you say is the growth rate for yours (when you first got them) and how often and how much do you change water?
Unfortunately growth is very slow. I fed massivor exclusively and kept the tank around 82 to maximize the early growth. They just grow way slower than cichlids. It is what it is....
I have always set up a drip system for all my tanks. I haven’t done a water change in 20 years.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Unfortunately growth is very slow. I fed massivor exclusively and kept the tank around 82 to maximize the early growth. They just grow way slower than cichlids. It is what it is....
I have always set up a drip system for all my tanks. I haven’t done a water change in 20 years.
Wow. Thanks for the info could I pm you about some questions I have regarding a drip system? Don’t want to derail op thread.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store