R.I.P. Hemiodus (sad) - Rest of the group strong!

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
It is never good to lose a fish, but happens all the time. Accidentally left the lid open overnight and one of four Hemiodus sp. cf unimaculatus jumped out probably in the morning when the lights came on. I found her about 2 hours later, not quite completely dried out, but completely dead. I can't even say I learned a lesson as nothing new was learned, specially with Hemiodus which are jumpy fish. Just a major mistake (didn't check twice).
It was the smallest, one of two I consider possible females. I thought she was under 6 inches. Well she was a bit over that. The other 3 are about 7 inches+.
I have only seen these fish in person twice. Once in Colombia, an aquarium store had a group. And once at Absolutely Fish in Newark, NJ, and I bought the four they had left. H. gracilis, with their red tail are more commonly seen, but not that frequently. These four fish grew from 2.5 to ~7 inches in less than 2.5 years. Absolutely beautiful.
Photos - The poor little one, the rest of the group.

Hemiodus 12Oct2020 comp.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
You say there is not a lesson to be learned but I say there is, always check twice. Perhaps put some sort of system in place to force you to check twice somehow.

Reactions: tlindsey

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Thank you All.
You are right- Always check twice. And I am working on a mesh cover of sorts. Cheers!
Fantastic to hear you’re actively doing something about it comrade.

characinkid

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2005
New England USA
Sorry that you lost that one, but I woudl agree, a great looking fish that we dont see enough of in the hobby. A group of these in a large tank is a true sight to behold!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store