Rainbow Belly Pipefish?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
As of right now, baby brine shrimp. When I got the airway bill number last night, I immediately went in to the kitchen and started up a hatcher with some brine shrimp eggs. Once they are in their new homes for a few hours, the eggs should have plenty of hatchlings and be ready to feed to the pipefish.

I also raise microworms, banana worms, walter worms, vinegar eels, and bloodworms (midge flies). The bloodworms would probably work after first hatching, but would grow too big for the pipefish. I have plenty of other fish to consume those though. I have daphnia and Scuds being delivered this week. *AND* my adult crayfish bins (not tanks) have developed a ton of copepods that I regularly have to clean out. Now I have something else to eat them! So there's all kinds of foods here that they could get, and a high-PH tank is waiting for them right now.
Great! You are well prepared.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

LTygress

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2015
My apologies. I got the notification for the reply, and decided to respond after I got photos of them. But then totally forgot about it!

However, I did my water changes yesterday and took a few photos after I fed them baby brine shrimp. They're doing great! I ordered 40 and lost about 10 total during shipping (5), or soon after because of stress (about 5), but the rest seem to be doing just fine! These photos are from one of the three tanks I put them in for quarantine. The other two tanks don't have plants at the moment, and I found hydra in one tank that I'm treating for now. I removed all except two so I could see if the medication (fenbendazole) has any effect on the pipefish. So far I haven't seen stress or deaths, and it has been two days.

So here are the three decent photos I grabbed! First and third are two very outgoing females. They're always the ones out and about when I watch them. The second photo is a male and his eye *seems* messed up in the photo, but I think it's just a baby brine shrimp closer to the camera that just got in the perfect spot to blur his eye. You can see the little kite-shaped bodies of them all around him.

20230912_095420.jpg

20230912_095441.jpg

20230912_095508.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My apologies. I got the notification for the reply, and decided to respond after I got photos of them. But then totally forgot about it!

However, I did my water changes yesterday and took a few photos after I fed them baby brine shrimp. They're doing great! I ordered 40 and lost about 10 total during shipping (5), or soon after because of stress (about 5), but the rest seem to be doing just fine! These photos are from one of the three tanks I put them in for quarantine. The other two tanks don't have plants at the moment, and I found hydra in one tank that I'm treating for now. I removed all except two so I could see if the medication (fenbendazole) has any effect on the pipefish. So far I haven't seen stress or deaths, and it has been two days.

So here are the three decent photos I grabbed! First and third are two very outgoing females. They're always the ones out and about when I watch them. The second photo is a male and his eye *seems* messed up in the photo, but I think it's just a baby brine shrimp closer to the camera that just got in the perfect spot to blur his eye. You can see the little kite-shaped bodies of them all around him.

View attachment 1526145

View attachment 1526146

View attachment 1526147
Awesome update

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have 3 Black Line Doryichthys martensii that's doing fine so far. Purchased them from The Wet Spot eight days and eating bbs as well.

LTygress

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2015
This tank was actually used for discus breeding just prior to me getting these guys. I have about 9 of those remaining (various blues) and moved them to a 55G grow-out tank, and decided to use this as one of the quarantine tanks for the rainbow bellied.

I'm cycling a 120G and a 300G to move other discus into, and then the rainbow-bellies will get a 75G with tons of neo shrimp and snails.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store